Thoughts on the Hurley/Pound/St. Paul scrimmage

djr4hurleyfb

Finally, the football season is here! I've had the itch to watch these boys since that rainy day last November, and this evening I came away much more satisfied than I expected.

Hurley and St. Paul started things off with both teams getting 10 offensive plays each. Hurley played defense first and had a tough start with St. Paul's RB #44, who ran hard behind a big OL. Hurley toughened up to the run quick and played there pass plays very stout (I don't think they completed a pass). Hurley held 'em to no TDs. Hurley got the ball and looked very good offensively. Between the tackles was there for the ripe picking due to the 3-5 defense, outside running room was tough but there, and Hurley scored once on a WR Screen (with two great blocks from the TE).

Pound came out to play St. Paul next. St. Paul looked pretty tired and subbed in a lot as they started off on Offense. Pound literally shut them down. Out of 10 plays, they may have only had two runs go for postive yardage as Pound pushed 'em back. Pound went on offense and moved the ball pretty well, mostly due to some sloppy tackling. They scored a TD on there 10th play.

Next up, Hurley and Pound each played 10 plays two times consecutively (1st strings for the first 20 plays, 2nd strings for the second 20 plays). With the first strings on the field, both teams played most even. Hurley's offense moved the ball well early, but had some breakdowns with blocking on there last two pass plays. Pound scored once on a 50 some yard corner route (great pass, but the CB was in a little too far with no Safety help), but the rest of the offensive plays were held in check.

The 2nd strings came in, and Hurley wasted no time getting started, breaking a 70 yard touchdown run off on the first play. Hurley consistently moved the ball well and then scored on a 50 yard pass on there last play as well. Defensively, the second string held up good and didn't let Pound score.

Hurley then played St. Paul for a 10 minute session (with the chains, going for it on 4th downs). The session wound up 0-0 as both teams played pretty good.

St. Paul and Pound then started a 10 minute session, but I didn't catch much of it as Hurley was headed home (I did see an amazing catch by a St. Paul WR, bringing in a pass on 4th down against 2 Pound DBs).

Overall, I was well pleased and satisfied with the effort this evening. Fundamentally, Hurley looked good not giving up a single turnover. The offense looks like it could be very effective. Defensively, much improved tackling highlights this years Rebels so far and that alone will be the difference in a lot of games compared to last year. The boys made a lot of penetration and even had a sack or two as well as some Tackles For Loss (there weren't many of those last year).

And the biggest thing, Hurley actually HAS a second string this year. 21 kids played tonight, would have been 22 but one stayed home due to an injury. All things considered, I can't wait to see 'em in action next Saturday vs. Appalachia @ Hurley.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

I think we looked good, but its still early and we need to work on coditioning some more. Im glad to see how we spread the ball alot. 3 players had the ball at least 6-7 times each. and Another player (Dewey Mitchell) Run the ball once for about 25 yards and then caught a 50 yard TD pass.

Gald to hear everybody played good an heard the line play really well to ..But most of all gald Dewey Mitchell got him one in there wish i could of seen it shew but i miss all the good stuff lol sorry i missed it guys but i'll be at the next one ( Wish i could of been out there playin with ya) and hopefuly Hurley is out for a great season . <font color="blue"> </font> <font color="red"> </font>

Guest BB_TWEEDER

Man you should have seen Dewey lol He caught a screen pass and there wasent a Pound Player out there who could catch him.