the Stones.

goalie

i was j/w if any one went to see the Stones tonight at UVAs football field(cant remimber the name but who cares) and i no that if someone on this board went they wouldnt be back yet but i didnt think i would be up when they got back, but i wanted to see if anyone went and how it was.

There was a bomb threat and the show was delayed so the dogs could give their okay on the stage and the close seating. Flip comment of the day by TA (me): that's about the most action Scott Stadium has seen since the UVa victory over FSU in 1995 (33-28). grin.gif

Second flip comment of the day: the song, Satisfaction ("I can't get no...satisfaction") was said to be the one song that 'just felt right' being heard by the UVa faithful there, according to those present. grin.gif

Daily Progress Article (Citation)

[ QUOTE ]

Even a bomb threat couldn’t stop the explosion of rock ’n’ roll the Rolling Stones brought to Charlottesville on Thursday.

The self-proclaimed world’s greatest rock band electrified the 55,000 fans packed into the University of Virginia’s Scott Stadium late into the night, stopping only to allow bomb-sniffing dogs to take the stage.

A promoter confirmed that a called-in threat caused authorities to evacuate about a third of the floor seats and pause the show until about 10:40 p.m. The sudden halt in the show’s momentum came during band introductions early in the set.

Lead singer Mick Jagger initially told the crowd there would be a 10-minute intermission because of a “technical problem.†About an hour later, after police brought dogs to sniff through the area surrounding the stage, the show resumed.

“Off we go,†Jagger said, not missing a step as the band powered the crowd back up with “Miss You.†A moving stage carried the group through the crowd to the back of the field.

The show started just before 9 p.m., and Jagger welcomed people from Charlottesville, Virginia Beach, Richmond and, curiously, Midlothian. The band began by belting out “Start Me Up†and “It’s Only Rock ’n’ Roll,†two crowd favorites that had grown adults screaming like giddy teenagers.

At an age when most people are gearing up for retirement, the 62-year-old Jagger darted vigorously around the enormous stage. He repeatedly changed costumes throughout the show, swapping a red shirt for a pink shirt and so forth. He took the stage wearing a black jacket adorned with the Stones’ trademark lips.

With the stadium’s broad white columns as a backdrop, Jagger belted out a series of classic hits peppered with a few numbers from the group’s newest album, “A Bigger Bang.†The critically hailed album, released last month, represents a return to the busier, rawer sound of the group’s early years.

Jagger pirouetted, jigged and snaked across the stage, stepping aside at times to focus the spotlight on 61-year-old guitarist Keith Richards, 64-year-old drummer Charlie Watts and 58-year-old guitarist Ron Wood.

“We don’t get to do this very often,†Jagger said as he introduced “Sweet Virginia,†a crowd-pleaser that had him playing the acoustic guitar and the harmonica.

Another high point came when the group tore through Ray Charles’ “Nighttime is the Right Time.†The group also offered up “Get Off of My Cloud†and “Ruby Tuesday,†two more classics from its 42-year career.

The Stones’ wide fan base was on display throughout the concert, and the thousands of faces, illuminated by the massive light display, reflected the group’s ability to get all ages rocking.

Many UVa students were still in diapers when the band was inducted into the Rock ’n’ Roll Hall of Fame in 1989, but they screamed out “Shattered!†with as much zeal as those fans wearing Stones’ shirts circa the 1970s.

“I’ve been a Stones fans since the beginning of time,†said Ed Supple, who went to his first concert in the 1960s and drove from Niagara Falls, N.Y., for this one. He was joined by many other fans from out of town; Interstate 64 was backed up for hours near the Charlottesville exit prior to the show.

The evening kicked off with an opening performance by former Phish guitarist Trey Anastasio, playing a Beatles’ cover and his own works to a crowd that filled about 40 percent of the seats.

Scott Stadium last held a major concert in April 2001, when more than 50,000 Dave Matthews Band fans watched the hometown boys in the largest local venue they had ever played.

In the weeks and months leading up to Thursday’s concert, many speculated that Matthews himself would join the Stones on stage. That hadn’t happened by 11 p.m., but those hopes didn’t damper fans’ satisfaction with the evening.

As thrilled as those in attendance were, Jagger repeatedly expressed his appreciation for the thousands of admirers before him. “Thank you,†he said time and again.

Even the Cavaliers will have a hard time topping the energy and enthusiasm that filled Scott Stadium on Thursday.

[/ QUOTE ]

well i have a ? how did they bring cops and dogs into a stones concert. my friends that went there let me see what they wore up there and there stuff still smells like pot and probly always will. but how did they bring them in and not find any drugs.