Bluefield Daily Telegraph Player of the Week

jennifersgb

For the second time in 7 weeks, Richlands is on the front page of the BDT for Player of the Week. First it was Justin, now it is the entire RHS defense. Congratulations guys, you all have earned every word of praise given to you, I personally am proud to be called a blue fan. This just proves what we all have known, you all play as a team and win as a team and you have earned every win. We're all proud of ya'll and we're looking forward to the next 7 games smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

For the second time in 7 weeks, Richlands is on the front page of the BDT for Player of the Week. First it was Justin, now it is the entire RHS defense. Congratulations guys, you all have earned every word of praise given to you, I personally am proud to be called a blue fan. This just proves what we all have known, you all play as a team and win as a team and you have earned every win. We're all proud of ya'll and we're looking forward to the next 7 games smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a link?

I get this:

[ QUOTE ]

RICHLANDS, Va. - Seven games into the season, nobody has yet gotten into the end zone on the Richlands Blue Tornado defense. Two field goals - that's all the scoring opponents have mustered as RHS vaulted to a 7-0 record.

The defense rests this weekend, with the team having a bye week. But its collective accomplishments so far in 2005 have earned the unit the weekly Pocahontas Coal Association / Bluefield Daily Telegraph Player of the Week award.

Head coach Greg Mance said if someone had predicted the defense's production prior to the season, â€ÂÂI'd have told them they were crazy. We didn't expect this; the defense has surpassed any expectations we had.“

Graduation took seven starters from the defensive unit, but Mance noted that four current Blue Tornado defensive players made all-district after last season. â€ÂÂWe thought we had a good nucleus to build around.“

That nucleus jelled into a rock-solid stumbling block for opponents. Mance said, â€ÂÂThe front seven is probably the best we've had overall, if you rate them as a group, in all the time I've been here - and I've been here 18 years.“

The team has size and speed up front, he said, â€ÂÂand that's a good combination.“ He uses those talents in a stunting 3-4 defense and a 50 alignment.

Cornerback D.J. Simmons, though he's been hurt, leads the team in interceptions. Inside linebacker Brad Lester is the leading tackler (28 solos, 41 assists), while senior end Jarryd Harrison tops the squad in sacks (5.5).

Lester gave credit for his unit's prowess to â€ÂÂthe coaching staff and the work we put into it. ... We just wanted to fill the shoes of a team like last year's team, which was very hard to fill.

â€ÂÂWe want to shut everybody out - not let a yard get (gained) on us. But it's expected in a game, for somebody to score. We don't let it tear us apart, or get to us.“

Inside linebacker Brett Clayburne said, â€ÂÂWe worked pretty hard all summer. ... I think we have a little bit more speed than we had last year, and we can stop people from getting around the ends. I think we just want it a little bit more than we did last year.“

The week off has come at a good time, Mance said. â€ÂÂWe're trying to get healthy. We work hard in practice and we do a lot of hitting. We're in full pads Monday through Thursday. ... And we've had some physical football games.“

Tailback Caleb Jennings said of the defense, â€ÂÂThey're just so good. They're physical. They fly around. Their motto is, ‘We want the opposition to think that we have 15 or 16 guys out there instead of just 11.' ... They take a lot of stress off of the offense, and not (make) us score a lot of points.“

[/ QUOTE ]