WORLD CUP DRAW

carrollfan

US ONCE AGAIN GOT A BAD DRAW. THEY CAN STILL DO IT. It is funny how people do not like soccer but 350 million people watched the drawing of teams. I believe only about 70 million watch the superbowl and about 5 million watch the NCAA basketball selection show.

I think the United States didn't get as bad a draw as everyone is hypin' it up to me. Italy is difficult, no doubt, but the United States was ranked 9th (accordin' to ESPN) goin' into the draw, so it's logical we're gonna have to face one of the top eight. Italy should be a loss. Ghana should be a win. The Czech Republic game should be a hard-fought win, and that's the game on which the United States' fate turns, and it's a shame it has to be the first one. I think if the U.S. is in any other bracket, it's as bad. You wouldn't want to face Brazil, Argentina, or Germany in the first round, so I don't think it's that bad.

On the numbers, the 350 million people who turned in to watch the draw tuned in from all over the world. Compared with the Superbowl, which gains a 75-80% American draw, the 350 million people out of 6.1 billion has less of a television draw as the Super Bowl in the United States: 50 million (approximately in the U.S. alone) out of 300 million. Take into effect that many people around the world are poverty-stricken (in the neighborhood of 1.7 billion outside the U.S.), it's pretty close to the same magnitude, given that American football is an American phenomenon.

but the main thing here is that the USA got screwed out of a seed, they should have been ranked in the top 8.

no matter, they should advance out of this qualifying group and prove USA soccer is in the Big Times.

• 1 month later...

No chance. If we pull out a win, it will be a miracle. Italy is GREAT year in a year out. This is the best Czech Republic team ever, starting with the Keeper of the Year, Petr Cech. And Ghana will run circles around our weak defense. So don't be expecting a reocurrance of 2002 this year.

But, on the optimistic side (sort of), if we do make it into the 2nd place spot, we will have to face the winner of Group F, which is the daunting Brazilians. Good luck America....

The way I look at it, if everyone complains 'bout the "bad draw" America got, it says somethin'. It says that the American team is not talented enough to compete against the Italies and the Brazils of the world, and that they wanted America to have a soft schedule to squeak into the sweet sixteen. They should be lookin' forward to playin' any team that crosses their path, and I believe the players themselves have that attitude.

[ QUOTE ]

The way I look at it, if everyone complains 'bout the "bad draw" America got, it says somethin'. It says that the American team is not talented enough to compete against the Italies and the Brazils of the world, and that they wanted America to have a soft schedule to squeak into the sweet sixteen. They should be lookin' forward to playin' any team that crosses their path, and I believe the players themselves have that attitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! This isn't a death sentence, it's a golden opportunity to show the world that we have what it takes! Italy is a power, no doubt, but they are not what they used to be. USA CAN BEAT ITALY! Remember 2002 vs. Portugal, the "favored" team to win the group? Also recall Italy didn't fare so well at the 2004 Euro tourney in which Portugal finished 2nd. The Czechs are having injury crises and might not be %100 (fingers crossed grin.gif ). Ghana is probably one of the top teams in Africa, but have no World Cup experience. I think the USA will surprise alot of people! Either way I can't wait until June!!!!!

It's been mentioned that this is an opportunity to "play the top teams of the world." It seems like that is what people are banking on. We should have taken the last four years to prepare for the most tournament in football (soccer for all of you who prefer to call it that). And no, I'm not talking about playing England's scrubs in some senseless match. We need real competition, real challenges, and a real reputation, not this one that we are trying to build right now.

Absolutley, MLS needs to get involved in more regional competition with clubs from Mexico, Costa Rica, Brazil, yadda yadda yadda... That would be a BIG help alone! A single table format would be great as well to heat things up during the reg season, but I think the playoffs should stay as is. Somehow if they could "fuse" the two together. Single table is great for competition, yes, but who's enjoying watching EPL's Chelsea run away with the title (again) already? Maybe one day.

I don't think our draw is that bad either. I just don't think the Czech Republic is that good. Who do they really have, Baros and Smicer? they are no good. Ok, they have Petr Cech, that's IT. The worst part about the draw is that even if we do finish second in our group, we would play the winners of the group with Brazil in it...

[ QUOTE ]

The worst part about the draw is that even if we do finish second in our group, we would play the winners of the group with Brazil in it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah Brazil schmazil! The way I see it they won't win back-to-back world cups. That means someone has to knock them out. It might as well be USA. We've got their number! And besides who said USA would finish 2 in group play? We'll come out on top, win our way to the final and see what happens from there...

...or is this just a dream???... shocked.gif

Seriously, the way I see it just escaping the group is an honor so the USA will take it one game at a time.

Are you kidding me? If Brazil doesn't beat every team in the World Cup by more than 2 goals it's going to be an amazing game for their opposition. This is the greatest Brazil team, arguably EVER.