virginia high- ph game

thefactman

went to view some of the tourny. seen some things that really didnt make sense!! officials!! wasnt pulling for any cetian teams but do know locals wanted of course va. high and twin valley in finals....well guess what they are there!! twin vally deserves to be in the final but not so sure about va. high. seems like everytime ph.h started to pull away the short vald ref would find a call. the worst one i seen and maybe seen in a long time was a five second call on poole which to me turned the game!!! as long as you are movind toward the basket with the ball the five second rule is stopped and restaret when the palyer stops. p.h. didnt even have the ball across mid court for 2 seconds befor the whsitle was blown...but anyway. another example i can see how MAYBE both marion and chilhoiw had to go to the losers bracket by not showing the night before but how does va. high go to winners bracket after getting crushed the night before????????

IMO... First thing.. Possibly the tournament had to be play on the dates as scheduled because of regular scheduled season games the following week. If Twin Valley was in transit and Smith Co. Supt. called his schools activities off.. then TV was without an opponent. Va. did what they needed to do was play an exibition game with TV on Thur. night. That game was definately to benefit Va High in the long run. To keep the tourney on schedule the only thing they could do was to move Marion and Chilhowie to the losers bracket.

From my observations.. I did not see Chilhowie or Marion play.. But, I did all the rest. IMO with all due respect to Va High, PH and CW, TV and Daniel Boone were the best 2 teams there this weekend.

About the officials.. I thought they were consistant. The 5 sec call on Pool was close.. I remember it.. it was at a critical time. He had a very quick defender on him. He gave up his dribble. Passing lanes were closed and no one came to him. Oh, plus the call I think is now within 6' feet of the ball for 5 sec (is this correct?). Its a definate advantage for the quicker players. Also, the next trip down the floor Brannon mugged a player at mid court. He came completely over a players back and knocked the ball loose. He went to retrieve it before it went out of bounds and the ref called it out on him as he'd tried to save it in. He threw a crying fit at half court!! Shame shame.. I hate to see crying on the floor..

I was supprised that Va. High beat PH as they were picked a top team out of the Hogo.

So, now you have it.. You had possibly 4 top teams representing their districts in this tournament... I suspect Va can challenge Abingdon and will possibly get a shot into the region IV. If they keep improving.

Twin Valley if they stay healthy and keep improving is and will be a force in swva.