Predictions for 2006 region iv

Highlandsfan

For what it is worth here are my predictions for the 2006 region iv title: Southwest District: 1)Graham

2)Tazewell

3)Carroll County

4)Richlands

Highlands District: 1)Abingdon

2)Marion

3)Virginia High

Piedmont District: 1)Martinsville

2)Magna Vista

3)Tunstall

Finishing order in terms of strength:1)Abingdon

2)Martinsville

3)Magna Vista

4)Graham

5)Marion

martinsville is usually a powerhouse. i'm not sure abingdon is that good, but they are good..graham should definitely compete with abingdon and marion, in close contests, like they always are.

i do not know if highlands was talking about soccer or football because he has the same predictions on the football forum. I also believe that bassett and not tunstall will be in third and maybe 2nd. for the swd I believe it will be a lot closer between the top three then in the past. But we hope to defend our title from last year. good luck to all.

I didnt mean to post on the football site. I am new at this. I think both the highlands and southwest districts will be very strong this year. I would love to see the two districts take first and second in region this year. As for my picks, i based it on last years teams, returners, and youth program success. Graham had a strong team last year and it was suppose to be the high point for merkey and his son. They fell short and lost a lot of experiance. They have a strong j.v program and will reload but it is not an experianced team. The level of play is a world of differance from j.v to varsity. It takes time to adjust. Carroll county came out of no where last year but lost a lot to graduation. They have the same problem as Graham in that they will be talented but young. Tazewell may be good but they have never proven the ability to win in the southwest district or against the highlands. That is in no means a put down i think they are well on their way to becomeing a very strong program. Marion only lost three games last year during the regular season and all three were to Abingdon. Marion returns their core of players, they are a little inexperianced with their role players but their core is still very strong. Virginia high was weak last year but rumor has it they may have several new exchange students. If its the same team as last year then they will still be rebuilding. Abingdon ended the year on a roll but lost to Magna Vista in a very close match. Magna Vista then lost 2-1 to Blacksburg. Abingdon returns pretty much the same team but have added a ton of young talent. Over all i think Abingdon is the most experianced team and they have one of the stronger j.v programs in the area. I wish everyone the best it should be a lot of fun. I do enjoy reading other peoples thoughts about the season. We all have an opinion and thats what makes it fun.

• 4 weeks later...

how can you place graham above marion in the region? before they can move up above marion they have to beat them. while abingdon has proven themselves to be the team to beat in their district theirs no way they can be placed at the top of the regional rankings martinsville is alot stronger of a team and until they beat magna vista and martinsville abingdon should be placed down near marion and above graham

i totally agree with you graham hasnt beaten marion in years and connot be placed above them. i know you fellas would like to bring the region title back to southwest virginia but abingdon is no were near martinsville or magna vista.

Believe me i did my homework on this one. Magna Vista suffered some hugh hits in graduation. Their two studs up front return but thats about it. The lose of the the keeper of the year will hurt a ton. Martinsville returns a strong team but are very beatable, they didnt win the piedmont last year and barely beat Magna Vista in regions in overtime. The two teams were even last year and Abingdon gave Magna Vista all they could handle and then some. As for Abingdon they were mostly a sophmore team last year all of the key players have returned. They have great deepth and have had an awsome off season winning everything in the fall league (along with some very good Marion players) and they dominated the likes of Elizabethton, Sullivan Central, and Science Hill in the indoor league in Johnson City. They were undefeated in indoor playing a lot of the best triple A schools in the area. Graham lost a lot of talent and leadership. They do have some talented jv players coming up and i have a feeling they are the ones doing most of the talking on here. It is a hugh jump from jv to varsity and it remains to be seen if they can make an impact this year or not. They have talent but they are also young with their leaders gone to graduation. As for Marion they have a strong core of about 5-6 players and on any given day can play with anyone. But the question mark is their depth, can they find enough talent to fill in around the 5-6? Will an athalete who has never played goalie be strong enough to stand up to good teams? Can their 5-6 play 80 minutes against teams good starting 11 and a strong bench? Marion could be the surprise as could Graham both a great soccer programs and deserve respect. Abingdon has the fewest question marks and have had an amazing off season. I have no doubts about them. I think it will be between Abingdon and Martinsville for the region title but the highlands hosts the regions this year keep that in mind.

"i totally agree with you graham hasnt beaten marion in years and connot be placed above them"

someone correct me if im wrong...but i believe Graham beat Marion at Graham last year....

[ QUOTE ]

i totally agree with you graham hasnt beaten marion in years and connot be placed above them

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

someone correct me if im wrong...but i believe Graham beat Marion at Graham last year....

[/ QUOTE ]

Your wrong:

Graham vs Marion==0-5

Graham @ Marion==0-1

[ QUOTE ]

Graham lost a lot of talent and leadership. They do have some talented jv players coming up and i have a feeling they are the ones doing most of the talking on here. It is a hugh jump from jv to varsity and it remains to be seen if they can make an impact this year or not. They have talent but they are also young with their leaders gone to graduation.

[/ QUOTE ]

We aren't that young. i believe we have 8 seniors playing this year. We aren't even pulling that many up from the jv team, 3 ninth graders max who i don't even see starting. And there may be..two people that played jv last year talking on these boards. We had a lot of talent and leadership last year covered up by last years seniors.

I stand corrected. I wish your senior lead team well and i think it will be one heck of a match when they face the highlands district teams. I do agree you should be better off with a few of the players that graduated gone. And a coaching change should be a major inprovement as well. I do have a question though, what are the chances of Graham getting to play back at the nice soccer facility again instead of at the high school? It is a much better facility and with a new coach now is that possability?

• 1 month later...

anyone want to reorder those predictions now that marion has beaten graham twice? marion is 7-0 while abingdon has a tie in their record. i cant wait for the first marion abingdon game, its gonna be a showdown.

New predictions:

1) Abingdon

2) Bassett

3) Martinsville

4) Marion

5) Magna Vista

Hats off to Marion for their undefeated season they have shown a lot of heart. I still go with Abingdon. But records go out the window when Marion and Abingdon play, it should be a good game but i think Marions win streak ends with the Falcons. A lot of good soccer has been played this season and its only half over, it should be a shootout.

I love watching people make predictions on here when they have not even seen most of these teams. Our team has seen four out of the five teams that you ranked and I would have to say that you do not understand how good the piedmont is this year. Bassett is the best team I believe and a close 2nd is Magna Vista and Martinsville. My Rankings would be Bassett, Martinsville, Abingdon, Magna Vista, SWD Champ (In my book it will be Carroll) and then Marion. The top four are far ahead of the rest of the field. then it gets close between Carroll, Graham, Tazewell, and Marion. But you do have one thing right, there has been a lot of good soccer so far and I wish everyone good luck for the rest of the season.