Burkes Garden vs. Tazewell 1921

BigD4VT

The following is from the 10/28/1921 edition of the Clinch Valley News. As transcribed by genealogist Michelle Burress:

The Burkes Garden basketball team met their straight defeat in the hands of Tazewell High school here last Saturday, the score being 55 to 5. They were outclassed in every department of the game, securing only one field goal. GILLESPIE, of Tazewell led in goal shooting. A large crowd from Burke's Garden was here and witnessed the slaughter. The second team of Tazewell also won from the Burkes Garden second team by the score of 6 to 4. Both sides played a good and fast game. The girls of the same schools also clashed. The score, according to a number of those present, should have been tied, 14 and 14, but the Burke's Garden players claim to have won by a score of 14 to 18. Misses KISER and RUSSELL played well for Tazewell. The Tazewell boys and girls won all three games from Pocahontas on the Pocahontas court, Wednesday the first team winning by the score of 76 to 6 the second team won by a score of 10 to 5. The score of the girls being 27 to 6, making three victories for Taz!

ewell in one day. The Pocahontas All-Stars defeated Tazewell by the score of 20 to 12.

I think they still have an elementary school, but the school back in 1921 was probably just a small building that taught all grades together. I don't have any links. The woman who dug that up is a genealogist who transcribes The Clinch Valley News from microfilm and posts it on a genealogy email list. I was planning to research old football games from the Bluefield paper but haven't gotten around to it.

Guest old_school

The school is still standing and is the Burkes Garden community center. When I was in high school we would go over there and play basketball on the old gym floor.

• 1 month later...

My God Mobster you are thinking of young Bobby Moss. I am Refering to Bob Moss Sr. He held the BGHS scoreing record with 30 points over 6 years of High School.But his son broke his record by going to THS for 8 Years.

"over 6 years of High School.But his son broke his record by going to THS for 8 Years."

i really hope this is a joke....cause last time i checked...high school is 4 years isnt it?

when he was in the 1st through 7th grade at Hayter's Gap Elementary School. They learnt him so much that it took him two years per grade to get it all packed in his brain. So yes, it is possible for Bobby 'Spanish' Moss to have spent 7 or 8 years at THS gettin all his book learnin in.