Thinking of taking the plunge, buying an Xbox 360.

Does anyone with one have any advice to provide? I'm looking to buy the core bundle only, not the premium bundle. I really have no interest in the online aspect at this point or the 2G hard drive. Furthermore, I don't have a HD TV and have no interest in buying one right now. Does the 360 graphics still look good on a standard TV?

all i say is that if u get one from best buy- get the 2 yr replacement on it- its like 40 or 50 bucks, depending on core or premium- but its very much worth it... the major problems with em is that they overheat and fry or the lasers burn rings in to the games causing them not to play and stuff and something like 250 ppl go into building them and a few thousand parts are in those things, so there is a great deal that can go wrong... if ur going to get it, get the premium- the core is kind of a waste of time and of 360- yeah its $100 more, but its got a lot more to offer... and as far as the graphics- ive heard it is pretty well improved on a regular tv, but its a GREAT DEAL better to have it on an HD tv...

also, u have to have the hard drive to play old xbox games- core wont play them

Thanks for the input. I went out this morning and bought the premium bundle after doing some research and talking with some well informed people. No retailers here in my area had the Core bundle anyway. I also bought a used copy of Madden '06 ($29.99) to hold me over until NCAA '07 comes out in July. Madden is pretty sweet on the 360...

[ QUOTE ]

Im thinking about purchasing a 360 myself. The only propblem that i think i wouldnt enjoy is 360's dont have as many games as my x-box has. Plus like bluefield rules mentioned, i dont have a HD tv either.

[/ QUOTE ]

The system looks great on my standard Philips T.V., which is about three years old. The guy at Game Stop asked if I owned a HDTV that I was going to use the system on. When I told him no he advised me not to buy one anytime soon. He said that even the quality of today's HDTVs aren't good enough for what the 360 is capable of putting out. He said higher quality HDTV are currently in production and should be out next year, which will work better with the system.

I have a big screen in my living room. and the games like madden 06' and ncaa 06' usually look a little blurry, and my tv in my room, you cant see all the numbers real well. But im sure if i messed around with the brigtness and such it would look alot better

how much did you pay for urs rules?

$399.99 for the system

$29.99 for a 1-year warranty from Game Stop

$29.99 for Madden '06

It came out to nearly $500.00 once tax was added. And with my purchase of the system I got to reserve NCAA '07 without paying anything down.

good deal. I was thinking about purchasing one off of ebay, but thats kinda fishy to me. I mean i could get it, and it not work or something like that..

But im much more of a NCAA fan then Madden anyways. So i' probply wait till it came out and maybe the price of the 360 will go down a wee bit

eBay is fine. Just make sure you buy from a big dealer with a high feedback rating and make sure it comes with a warranty. Many well established dealers who have brick & mortar stores also sell on eBay.

best buy offers a 2 yr replacement for $50 on the core

i wouldnt advise purchasing a 360 on ebay- many people beleive that manufacturers warranties and whatnot are still valid, but that is generally a rumor- maybe just with cell phones, but im not totally sure...

there are still a good amount of problems and returns with the 360s. so its best to purchase them from a retailer and to purchase the replacement on them... it saves u a ton of money.... i work at best buy- so i see all the problems lol

and from what ive heard is that they will drop the price on the 360 once the ps3 comes out- not sure on that, just people talking

I wouldn't buy used on eBay if I wanted a warranty but there are legitimate retailers who sell brand new merchandise on eBay with a full warranty. Nothing against Best Buy or any other big name retailer but they want $700 for the same camera I just bought for $500. The dealer I bought from has a real photography superstore in New York and has sold more than 160,000 items on eBay with a 99.8% positive feedback rating. As long as you pay attention to who you're buying from eBay is a great way to save money.