Region III Golf Tournament

Olympian12

Oak Hill won the Region III Golf Tournament today at Grandview Country Club and James Monroe finished second. Both teams will now advance to the state tournament in Wheeling. I personally thought Shady Spring would win the regional but they had a disasterous team effort. Their number 2 player shot 96 and the number 2 player shot 93. The only one who played a decent round was Scott Prince who shot a 71. However, I was told he wasn't very happy because he missed 2 birdie putts within 6 feet and a 2 foot par putt. Next week will be a real test at the Spiedel Course because it is very narrow and hilly with many bunkers and rolling greens. How come we never see any articles in the newspapers about high school golf? Many of these players are very good athletes and excellent students and isn't that what high school athletics is all about? I don't believe there are many of us hackers that can shoot par on any course. Dexter Moore of Bluefield is a very good golfer and an excellent basketball player. I bet that he would tell you that golf is more difficult. By the way, I've also heard that Scott Prince is an outstanding student and he plays point guard for the high school team. Scott has already received information from Harvard, UPenn, and Yale. Best of luck to all the area golfers at the state tournament - maybe they will even have the results in a local newspaper!