And the new A-town coach is.......

MagnumTA

[ QUOTE ]

I just wish they would have given the job to Thompson or 4-3 Lee or should I now say 7-0 Lee I just hope they got grass on their field before the season starts

[/ QUOTE ]

be for real for once man, u kno good and well they are gonna have grass on the field before the season starts

http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tri/sports.apx.-content-articles-TRI-2007-03-07-0004.html

Bowles named Abingdon's new football coach

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2007 - 12:00 AM

Allen Gregory

Sports Writer

ABINGDON – John Bowles is the new head football coach at Abingdon High School.

That long-awaited decision was made late Monday night at the Washington County School Board meeting.

Bowles has head coaching experience at Kempsville High School in Virginia Beach and Science Hill High School in Johnson City.

That coaching background was apparently the reason why Bowles was selected.

Skip Bailey, who replaced Ray Gregory as AHS head football coach on an interim basis midway through this past season, was tabbed as interim athletic director Monday. Former athletic director Sam Blevins recently left to become assistant principal at Chilhowie High School.

"I think they [school board members] wanted to go with a football coach who had experience," Bailey said. "Hopefully, we can put everything behind us now and move forward."

Gregory, who was dismissed by school officials after complaints from parents of AHS players, now works as an offensive assistant at Bethune-Cookman University in Daytona Beach, Fla.

"I think everybody has been through enough," Bailey said. "It’s time to set aside all differences and get ready for football.

"High school age kids are resilient. They are ready to play regardless of the situation. They have been in that weight room working out."

The Falcons finished with a 5-5 record in 2006. According to Bailey, 22 seniors are expected to return from that team, including the prolific combo of quarterback Adam Henderson and Tyler Bailey.

Gregory, a former NCAA Division 1-AA head coach, installed a wide-open offense at AHS last summer.

Bailey, who was a basketball basketball in Middlesboro, Ky., is a graduate of Lincoln Memorial University. He served as assistant at Abingdon under coaches Bob Buchanan and Curtis Burkett from 1975-83.

Efforts to reach Bowles, who no longer lives in Johnson City, were unsuccessful Tuesday. There are tentative plans for Bowles to meet with the AHS football players next week, said Bailey.