Knights inspired by words of Caldwell

bluefieldRocks

Knights inspired by words

By BRIAN WOODSON

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

WELCH  During a television interview on Monday night, a couple of Wyoming East players talked about wanting to meet Bluefield in the Class AA tournament.

There is one problem. Members of the Mount View Golden Knights heard that interview.

“I didn’t see it, but the guys told me about it in practice,†Mount View head coach Kenny Brown said. “That gave us good bulletin board material.

“We’ve got a chip on our shoulder. We’re a little angry, we want to be more than just a bump in the road for those guys. I think 7:30 p.m. is coming soon.â€Â

Mount View (12-9) will play Wyoming East (22-1) in the Region VIII championship game tonight at Beckley’s Raleigh County Armory. Tip-off is slated for 7:30 p.m. The winner will advance to next week’s Class AA state tourney, while the loser will call it a season.

“There were comments made about Bluefield,†Brown said. “Bluefield is a tremendous squad, but before that can happen, they have to go through us. We’re not going to give them a free pass.

“I think we’ve couple of excellent practices and we’re anxious to play.â€Â

Seniors like Cordero High, Bo Horton, Eric Smith, Thomas Bell and Deontae Baker aren’t ready to say ‘Good Knight’ on their high school careers.

“They’re all seniors, and they know you win or go home,†Brown said. “We’re not ready to stop yet, we’re not ready to hang the jerseys up.â€Â

While the Knights defeated Iaeger 85-66 to win its sectional title, Wyoming East squeaked past Westside 63-57. The Warriors enter at 22-1, and are the top-ranked Class AA team in West Virginia.

“They’re No. 1 in the state, they play hard and they do good TV interviews,†Brown said. “They lace up their shoes just like we do so we’re not going to give them too much applause.

“It’s similar to Westside last year. My assistant coach said that we’re not invited to the party, but we’re going to crash it.â€Â

Mount View made its first state tournament appearance in school history last season, defeating Westside in the regionals. They liked being in Charleston, and they want to go again.

“We’ve talked about how much we enjoyed it and how much fun it was,†Brown said. “Several of these guys played on last year’s team. I feel like we’re still a little overlooked.

“I think everybody is handing East the map to Charleston. I think we’re still the regional champs. We’ve still got to play the game so we’re looking forward to 7:30 tomorrow night.â€Â

The Knights played Wyoming East once this season during the Coal Classic, dropping a 90-59 decision to a team that’s paced by Justin Caldwell, Nick Rezzonico, Cory Willard and Jason Shrewsbury.

Brown said Mount View will make some adjustments, but will still play their kind of game.

“We competed with those guys for a quarter and then fell apart,†Brown said. “We’re a speed team, but we’ve got to bridle that speed some and not play recklessly.

“That’s when we get in trouble when we run up and down and get down by 8 or 10 points. We don’t play well in the hole. We need to get off to a good start and relax.

“It’s a game, and not anything else. I want them to have fun. The kids are relaxed, and we’re looking forward to a good showing.â€Â