Giles - James Monroe

mountainman63

Its hard to tell what level the 2 teams are at. JM had trouble moving the football today, but Giles returns nearly the whole defense from last year. Giles Offense is a little rusty, but overall they looked good. The power running game was good, the reverse was good, and the passing was good. The score was 21-0, but I think JM will still be okay after a few games.

Well that's just dandy! Appearantly we're staring the season right where we left off, getting pimp daddy slapped!

I don't careif this was a scrimmage, and Giles has a good team. They won't be as good as some of the teams we see this year.

Sounds like we're way behind offensively, defense doesn't sound much better either. If this happens in Narrows next week, well I might go insane.

I wouldnt say that. Giles very well could be the best you see all year. They have a veteran defense that is going to be hard for anyone to run against. The offence looks like we have several weapons, including a deep passing threat for those 7 and 8 man fronts. I watch a lot of football, I saw Bluefield today, fast, and talented, but not overly impressive (yet). Graham, to me looked pretty good. Lots of heart. Mt View looked bad, and their players didnt seem intersted in the game at all. JM should be okay. Maybe not like last year, but trust me you wont run into another defense like this years Giles defense.

[ QUOTE ]

I wouldnt say that. Giles very well could be the best you see all year. They have a veteran defense that is going to be hard for anyone to run against. The offence looks like we have several weapons, including a deep passing threat for those 7 and 8 man fronts. I watch a lot of football, I saw Bluefield today, fast, and talented, but not overly impressive (yet). Graham, to me looked pretty good. Lots of heart. Mt View looked bad, and their players didnt seem intersted in the game at all. JM should be okay. Maybe not like last year, but trust me you wont run into another defense like this years Giles defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully you're right. By the way what defensive formations were JM running? I've heard they'd make some changes. Also, do you know who was starting at what positions offensively, I know that's been up in the air.

Good luck to Giles this year.

They were running mostly a 5-3, but thats not going to be their typical defense. That was probably just for Giles. Robertson was Tailback, Mann was Blocking Back, Tincher might be hurt, I'm not sure, and I dont know the fullbacks. The line is big, but they need to work on their speed, and staying on their blocks. You'll have a better idea after the Narrows game. We have several issues as well, but I thought we looked good, for only having 1 week of practice in pads. We scrimmage Hidden Valley, and Chatham Friday, so we'll see. That should help us try an get ready for possibly the biggest, baddest, Blacksburg team ever.

Thanks. The 5-3 might not be for 1 game, we'll have to see. There was a version of that defense Peterstown ran in '91 that I'd love to see us use as long as our pass coverage doesn't suffer. Like Zach being the BB, he'll might life a nightmare for opposing linebackers. Hope Ernie Tincher ain't hurt bad. If he wasn't playing, that, at least in part explains some of the offensive problems, but hey, you have to learn to overcome injuries if they happen in real games, dissapointed they didn't do that, hopefuuly we can get some wins until we adjust.

hey it is hard to beat a dog in his own yard with his master telling him to sick you i am disssatisfied with type of O no matter what type of success it has im suprised the players can change from typical to different so quickly

[ QUOTE ]

hey it is hard to beat a dog in his own yard with his master telling him to sick you i am disssatisfied with type of O no matter what type of success it has im suprised the players can change from typical to different so quickly

[/ QUOTE ]

From that I'm taking it that you're not a big fan of the single wing?

i hate to complain but i watched these players win championships in peewee midget and middle school with no losses since 1999 taught different strategies their success is great now but i dont get it if we cant run what do we do without an effective alternative

[ QUOTE ]

i hate to complain but i watched these players win championships in peewee midget and middle school with no losses since 1999 taught different strategies their success is great now but i dont get it if we cant run what do we do without an effective alternative

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what your saying. Thing is, we had the same problem back when Donnie Jackson was coaching. I'm sure you remember the 0-3 game with Bluefiled in '02. He built that team completely around 1 plaer offensively, and when Newberry got hurt, we were SOL. And that just 1 example.

I've always had mixed feelings about the single wing. I like it more than I did a couple of years ago, it would probably help of Peterstown ran it too, but as long as Booth's there (and don't get me wrong, I love Chris as a coach) that's not going to happen.

You can pass out of the single wing as good as anything else, if you set the pass routes up right, it's hard to cover because it's something most people haven''t seen very much. Thing is, you can't wait until 3rd&9 the do it, you have to surprise the defense on 1st & 2nd down.

If Witt has them throw the ball on 1st down next week ( or any game for that matter) I'll be like Fred Sanford "having the big one."

we have all learned to accept this O and i met my friend fred at the tolsia game when we didnt do what we did to get there he said i dont get it, i was in shock always hating single wing but wishing jackson was running the ball 20 times in a row and not passing much isnt there something in the middle like you suggested

[ QUOTE ]

we have all learned to accept this O and i met my friend fred at the tolsia game when we didnt do what we did to get there he said i dont get it, i was in shock always hating single wing but wishing jackson was running the ball 20 times in a row and not passing much isnt there something in the middle like you suggested

[/ QUOTE ]

I said it then, and I'll say it now, that Game had more to due with the defenses failure to stop the run and get off the field than it did the offense.

We had a good drive going middle of the 4th, but the coaches lost there mind, and Tayor threw a badly underthrown ball. The similarities between that game and Bluefield the year before are scary, including not going for it on 4th &short and letting the enemy go right down the field and get up early.

The best way to win a big game is go for the throat early, and then keep kicking them when there down, upto date, you can try "establish control of the game", you have to storm in and try to kill someone every play. Sooner the team and coaches learn that, sooner we get to hold the big trophy in Wheeling.

I've said it all along if we would come out passing in the 1st qtr we would have the chance for alot of easy touchdowns because everyone always comes out stacking the line against us. Coach TWIT can't figure that out!

[ QUOTE ]

Now we'll be accused of recruiting...lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't surprise me. Heard the Bluefield Ba rons played at Peterstown last night (for real). If we win the championship someone will probably accuse us of recruiting from them! LOL.

i agree totally but we cant wait until post season to do it why dont we keep them guessing all the time but then it would have to be too mutated a form of broken wing sorry single wing meaning to me one deminisional

[ QUOTE ]

i agree totally but we cant wait until post season to do it why dont we keep them guessing all the time but then it would have to be too mutated a form of broken wing sorry single wing meaning to me one deminisional

[/ QUOTE ]

There are alot of pass plays out of the Wing, Witt just simply hasn't been using them. I've been debating whether or not to kidnap the coaches if we get back into the playoffs, I'll still probably be debating that until November, Provided we see the playoffs after the grand performance we had last weekend. Talked to one of the oldest and most knowledgeable Peterstown/James Monroe football fans today. His account of the Giles scrimmage was even worse than I had heard previously. Really hope our guys get it together, I know we're better than that.

[ QUOTE ]

they wish we would stoop to their level and i guess an honest transfer only exist at JMHS we are not cheaters -cheaters never win and winners never cheeat

[/ QUOTE ]

an honest transfer...what are you implying?? Bluefield pays people off...come on man...get real...the kids and their parents make the decision to go there because they think they can get better recruiting status for college and try and win a state championship...if JMHS would win a state title kids might wanna transfer there....so why dont you just quit whining about all this and just go out there and play the game....oh and this comes from a Graham fan...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

they wish we would stoop to their level and i guess an honest transfer only exist at JMHS we are not cheaters -cheaters never win and winners never cheeat

[/ QUOTE ]

an honest transfer...what are you implying?? Bluefield pays people off...come on man...get real...the kids and their parents make the decision to go there because they think they can get better recruiting status for college and try and win a state championship...if JMHS would win a state title kids might wanna transfer there....so why dont you just quit whining about all this and just go out there and play the game....oh and this comes from a Graham fan...

[/ QUOTE ]

What???

I don't remember Bluefield being mentioned in this conversation, other than a semi-pro team. Maybe they put something on the turf up there that's making you forget what you're talking about. Feel free to respond after you've cleared your head.

i know it hasnt been mentioned but with the one who posted that...thats all we have heard from him in the past week how Bluefield cheats because they cant use their own players they get players from other schools....blah blah blah...all he does is cry about how much better Bluefield is because they use transfers even though they dont get many at all....

Do everybody a favor, including yourself drop it. We're not even through week on and the James Monroe-Bluefield War it starting early. They'll be plenty of time to talk about this inlate October, there's alot of football to be played between now and then.