Wayne 40, Mount View 6

PioneerPA

I'm afraid the rumors were true...Mount View just isn't very good this year. Cordero High is amazing still, but he had to break 4-5 tackles to get more than 5 yards on a carry. Still had a very solid night. But upfront, Mount View was as physically weak as I can remember seeing them. They lost the game in the trenches tonight.

I don't think that team will make the playoffs...

[ QUOTE ]

I'm afraid the rumors were true...Mount View just isn't very good this year. Cordero High is amazing still, but he had to break 4-5 tackles to get more than 5 yards on a carry. Still had a very solid night. But upfront, Mount View was as physically weak as I can remember seeing them. They lost the game in the trenches tonight.

I don't think that team will make the playoffs...

[/ QUOTE ]

With James Monroe, Bluefield , and Graham remining, You're prbably right. I don't see them winning any of those games.

I've said before that this year's team is for the most part pretty young ,and inexperienced at the skill positions besides running back. The athletes and speed are there,but inexperience at the skill positions,and probably not having the size on the lines that MV normally has is a big factor into this teams performance. MV hasn't really had a bad season in about 9-10 years, so noone can have a winning season every year not to mention alot of schools have at least 3 or 4 losing seasons in 10 year span. MV will bounce back.

MV had some penalties and Cordero High had the abosolute play of the night called back...he hurdled a guy that wasn't exactly going after his ankles, landed on his feet, and got a first down...but it was called back for holding on a fake punt. Still an amazing play. He got an ovation from the home fans for that one.

It was 40-6. Wayne led 40-0 when MV got its TD on a 19-yard run by Thomas against the freshmen. Ironically, Wayne's freshmen tackled High better than the varsity did late in the game. MV played its second group on defense after the midway point of the 4th quarter, but played its starters on offense the entire way. They got in sync one time and had a nice drive, but it ended with an INT in the endzone in the third quarter...here's the scoring summary:

Mount View 0 0 0 6--6

Wayne 14 12 8 6--40

1st qtr

W-Thompson 1 run (Gilkerson run) 9:55

W-Thompson 3 run (pass failed) 2:57

2nd qtr

W-Gilkerson 15 run (kick failed) 7:20

W-Meddings 1 pass from Ferguson (pass failed) 0:10

3rd qtr

W-Fletcher 12 pass from Ferguson (Shreve pass from Ferguson) 8:39

4th qtr

W-Damron 3 run (run failed) 6:20

MV-Thomas 19 run (run failed) 3:46

I don't know why some outlets had 34-6...that was never the score unless it was called in wrong. I reported on the game for The Herald-Dispatch and sent them the correct score...but they got it wrong on their scoreboard heading which confused me. The AP listing had the correct score, but then had the wrong score for Rock Hill-Tolsia. I'll do my best to make certain that does not happen again.