Beckley finishes the season at 4-6

Beckley_WWHS

Well it was an improvement over last year's 1 win team but still a frustrating season. This is the fourth time in the past five seasons that Beckley has missed the playoffs.

The upside is the Beckley team was much improved and competitive with most every team they faced and they could have easily won two or three more games if not for silly mistakes.

I heard an interesting stat on the radio before the game last night. In John Lilly's 8 years at Beckley, this was the first time that the two middle school teams had combined for a winning record. It seems many have blamed the failures on poor coaching, but there just hasn't been a lot of quality football players when they get to high school. There have been a few very talented players (Manns, Ross, Ali) just not the depth you need.

That being said, I think the Beckley team will be much improved next season and there should be some good teams in the next few seasons. As I said, the middle schools both had winning records. The 9th and JV teams both finished 7-2.

There will also be a lot of players returning off this team. All four linebackers return (including leading tackler Ryan Stafford, and a very good sophomore and freshman), three in the secondary (they will get Lanny Meadows back after starting in 9th and 10th grade but having to sit this season out with a shoulder injury), a few players that played on the line are back, two quarterbacks, all the receivers, the fullback, punter, and kicker (a sophomore who only missed one, maybe two extra points).

The only real hole to fill will be at running back with Marquel Ali (who had a knee injury in last night's game, lets hope he is ok) and a couple others graduating. There are a few talented young players that will probably step in there.

There is just no excuse now for Beckley to keep having losing seasons. The last several seasons have been rough if you are a Beckley football fan.

Will they finally turn it around now? The promising amount of talent returning and the records of the younger teams say they should. Or will there be more disappointing seasons?

The main reason that Beckley joined the MSAC is because of Lilly wanting the football team in it. That is really the only thing I like about the conference is that it is easy to get a 10 game schedule. The bad thing about it is Lilly wanted in it so bad, but the football team has the biggest trouble competing in it.

Beckley competes real well in most of the other sports in the conference, far more so than Princeton or Greenbrier East. They are actually one of the better teams in basketball, volleyball, soccer, track, baseball, most of the sports.

I just don't care for the conference. It is way too big with 16 teams in it. Most of the coaches of the other sports don't like being in it either because they are stuck playing all of those teams where as many of them would like to schedule closer teams to cut travel time and expenses.

I really dislike the conference in basketball. You are forced to play all 15 other teams and then in the MSAC place game. By the time you have 16 games tied up there, add three more for the Coal Classic and there are only 3 spots left which have been going to a game in the Hoops Classic, and Parkersburg South home and away. We can't schedule teams like Bluefield and Wheeling Park, some of the nice rivals over the years. Then there is no room for the WJLS holiday tournament to start the season either.

Like I said, it is great for coming up with a 10 game schedule for football, but that is about all I like about it. Hey, maybe Bluefield can try to get in as a AA school. That would fix your problems of trying to get a 10 game football schedule real quick. lol

[ QUOTE ]

Is it just me or does it seem like Woodrow and Princeton aren't benefiting from the MSAC membership like other, larger AAA schools in the conference?

[/ QUOTE ]

DING! DING! DING!

...What do we have for him Johhny???

I was thinking the same thing myself last night. You can add Greenbrier East to this discussion as well. Not sure exactly what these 3 schools thought joining that conference was going to accomplish, but look at what it has:

3 winning seasons, 2 trips to the playoffs, and 0 postseason wins for those 3 schools combined!

It's absolutly murdered any chance of Beckley and Princeton being competitive, and any chance of G. East digging itself out of the hole.

You have to play quality opponents, but having to play top 10 AAA opponents 7 or 8 games takes a toll. When you're looking at a 4-6 or 3-7 season as an improvement, like Beckley and East are doing, it's a sure sign that changes are well over-due. IMO all three of those teams would do themselves a favor ditching that conference now.