Al Groh: 2007 ACC Coach of the Year

Deleted Account

It's official. Al Groh won the ACC Coach of the Year Tuesday, his second (2002) in seven years at Virginia. He beat out Boston College's Jeff Jagodzinski and Virginia Tech's Frank Beamer to win the award.

Website: http://www.virginiasports.com/ViewArticl...DB_OEM_ID=17800

Now, if he could put up 9 wins every year...

[ QUOTE ]

Congratulations! I never expected UVA'S season to turn out like it did! It might even have saved his job!

[/ QUOTE ]

I can tell you're a little behind...he got a contract extension yesterday...FOUR MORE YEARS!!! FOUR MORE YEARS!!!

Granted, UVA had a good season but for the life of me, I can't figure out how a team that loses to Wyoming ends up with the coach of the year...and if UVA hadn't caught a break here or there during the season, they end up 6-6 instead of 9-3 and the point of Groh being COY in the ACC is moot.

BC's coach is more deserving in my opinion. BC wasn't supposed to win their division and they did.

Yes, Boston College was not picked to win their division: http://inthebleachers.net/bcs-conferences/acc/2007-acc-media-day-predictions/

They were picked to finish second, which they nearly accomplished in a sloppy game against Clemson. By that same chart, in every preseason magazine I saw, Virginia was a mortal lock to finish fourth in the Coastal Division, and they finished third in the entire conference. Boston College exceeded expectations, but Virginia far exceeded them, hence Al Groh's coach of the year award.

It would be foolish to say that Virginia was not on the good side of many circumstances this year. Anyone will admit that. However, I'm of the belief that you create your own opportunities to win. If Chris Long didn't have 13.5 sacks, if Cedric Peerman didn't lead the ACC in rushing for the first half of the season, if Mikell Simpson didn't come out of nowhere to pull the weight as a dual threat for this team in the second half, if the defense as a whole wasn't in the 17th in yards allowed and 14th in points allowed, this team wouldn't have been in a position in the first place to win those games.

Going 5-0 in games decided by 2 points or less and 6-1 in games decided by less than one touchdown is no coincidence. It speaks to the ability of a team to dig deep, and do whatever must be done to win games. Again, luck never hurts, but to say that luck was solely responsible is not correct, in my opinion.

Again, I refer to my point above, to where the teams were projected to finish. Virginia far exceeded its expectations, and given what the team has went through, I think it's more than justified.