SWVASPORTS.COM

BDT article about bidding for the Super 6

BeaverHokie

http://www.bdtonline.com/editorials/local_story_334134723.html

I'm wondering which idiot wrote that editorial. I always thought one of the things that happen when you run a newspaper is that you get tuned into local, regional, and state politics. High school football is no different. Are they just choosing to ignore the conventional wisdom about how the game location is in for the fix?

In my line of work, we respond to a lot of RFPs (Request For Proposals) for work. One of the things we do before choosing to respond is to ask ourself "How much will it cost us to respond, versus the chance of actually winning?". We don't chase RFPs where the owner has already chosen someone, and they're going through the motions to make it legal. Is it not reasonable to think the same thing happened? Why do they think nobody wastes the time to respond to the WVSSAC request?

Besides, one of the arguments in the article is how far it was for Bluefield and JM to travel. Thing is, the same could be said for Wheeling Central having to travel to southern WV. That is why...wait for it...a centrally-located stadium is the best choice. And wouldn't it be a surprise to see that the state capital is reasonably centrally-located, they have a great stadium, lots of hotels, and lots of experience hosting state championships.

One thing I'd love to see is the attendance figures. I'd love to know how Wheeling does at it, compared to how it was in Charleston.