Texas Tech Vs. VIRGINIA

seth_hill

I wouldn't say UVA sucks but I do think they may have wrestled away the "CHOKIE" title from VT & WVU after blowing a 17 point lead in the last four minutes of the game.

Guest JJBrickface

I can't believe UVA blew that one. Thats a tough loss for sure...I think this has been the year of the Chokie. Because it seems as if soo many teams have blown great opportunites. I think the Hokies will stomp Kansas, and I hope WVU surprises the Sooners.

i dont see how you can say they suck...they lost to a very streaky Texas Tech play with a very high powered Texas Tech offense...especially since it was a close game...you have to give them props for playing well all season...good season hoos

Is there a Division 1 program with any worse WRs than UVA? Seriously, I'd recruit 6 or 7 this year, and politely ask those on scholie (besides that one fellow who missed all year with an injury, Ogletree?) to leave.

I could say the same for the CBs. A lot of it is scheme (10 yards off the WRs against a team who throws 50 short passes a game; real genius there), but they don't ever step up and make plays either.

Once Sewell went down, UVA was doomed. Lalich looks lost out there as well, reference the fumble (although since when was the OL suppose to completely whiff on blocking AT ALL for a screen?).

[ QUOTE ]

I agree losing a 14point lead is bad,UVA lost the game pure ans simple they had a good year. but you Tech Fans continue to show your true "lack of class"

[/ QUOTE ]

You want "class"? Go to school.

You want to talk smack...how about this...

You can't spell vulva without U-V-A...

And in case you aren't sure what that is...

www.britannica.com/eb/article-9075792/vulva

You know, the thing that gets me with most UVA fans from this part of the state is that they don't fit the "UVA mold". UVA fans/alum from other parts of Virginia make fun of people from this part of the state and look down upon our "way of life". Their arrogance and snootiness is sickening. If most of you only knew, you'd think twice before even calling yourself a UVA fan...

You can say you cheer for them because its your "state" school but the "real" UVA fans, and I do use that term loosely, don't want people like us, the people of southwest Virginia, being part of their "state"...

[ QUOTE ]

I agree losing a 14point lead is bad,UVA lost the game pure ans simple they had a good year. but you Tech Fans continue to show your true "lack of class"

[/ QUOTE ]

Where the hell did anyone show a "lack of class" in this thread?? All that was said was no one could believe that they blew the lead they had. Nothing degrading was stated about UVA, their players, coaches, or fans until you started it about Hokie fans having "no class."

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, the thing that gets me with most UVA fans from this part of the state is that they don't fit the "UVA mold". UVA fans/alum from other parts of Virginia make fun of people from this part of the state and look down upon our "way of life". Their arrogance and snootiness is sickening. If most of you only knew, you'd think twice before even calling yourself a UVA fan...

You can say you cheer for them because its your "state" school but the "real" UVA fans, and I do use that term loosely, don't want people like us, the people of southwest Virginia, being part of their "state"...

[/ QUOTE ]

The first part of this post was base, immature, and classless.

The second part of it was misinformed at best and asinine at worst. You attempt to counteract one false stereotype while promulgating another; therefore, you are acting no better than the arrogant Virginia "fans" you are attacking. As there is in most every fan base, there are glaring differences. Of course, there are snooty, nose-in-the-air Cavalier fans as there are backwoodsy Virginia Tech fans. I will vouch for both. However, if you'd leave this insulated bubble and go to Orange, Louisa, or Nelson counties sometime, you'd find a whole lot of blue-collar Virginia fans, wearing jersies that look like they've been through the wash many dozen times. Likewise, if you go to Northern Virginia, you'd see very cocksure and impolite Hokie fans, some of which live quite affluently.

To the second part of the second section, that is also incorrect on the whole. Sure, a large number of northern Virginians would love to cut the state off at Roanoke and along 460 in the south. However, especially with regards to myself, coming from this part of the world and as a "true" Virginia fan (which you think would be contradictory), I frankly like the lifestyle differences among different regions of the state. It's an amalgamation, a melting pot, if you will, of many different ways of life. I could care less about someone's geographical location: if you're genuine, regardless your personal beliefs, I'll likely enjoy your company. Location is irrelevant.

(As an aside, G-Man, I truly want to know why you have such a pent-up hatred for Virginia. It baffles me, since I know of very few Virginia fans who have that level of hatred for Virginia Tech. PM me if you would like to discuss.)

I expected something like this, honestly, upon my return from Jacksonville (which was FAR, FAR better than what I heard from Hokie and Cavalier sources alike; not the best [given that I sprained an ankle stepping onto a sidewalk where the ground was literally three inches above the asphalt], but not terrible). The "choke" word coming up. The players didn't choke: the team played valiantly all game, while the defense couldn't make one last 4th-down stop. The Groh assemblage, on the other hand, CHOKED. In this game, I saw perhaps the single-worst play call in my 22 years upon this Earth: on the 2nd-and-7, with near 3:30 to go in the game on the Virginia 11 and a 28-21 lead for Virginia, Mike/Al Groh asks true freshman Peter Lalich to throw a SCREEN PASS. Quite predictably, Texas Tech sent the house and caused Lalich to fumble on his own 4. Right then and there, I knew Virginia would lose this game. Instead of putting the game in the hands of Mikell Simpson (who had 170 yards on the game), you put the January bowl game and the chance for Virginia's second 10-win season EVER on the arm of an unproven true freshman. If this doesn't happen, the game likely goes into overtime, or Virginia makes one last stop to win the game. FREAKING BRILLIANT!

If you'd have told me Mikell Simpson would have 20 carries for 170 yards, and the Virginia defense would have 2 safeties and hold Texas Tech to 31 points, I'd have sworn we would've won. I definitely congratulate Texas Tech: the Red Raiders did everything they had to do (and often out of desperation) to win the game. They were the better team on this day. The sun came up on the morning of the second, and the stomach-punch suffered on the previous day starts to heal...

Lovable team, great season, many questions still to answer...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The first part of this post was base, immature, and classless.

The second part of it was misinformed at best and asinine at worst. You attempt to counteract one false stereotype while promulgating another; therefore, you are acting no better than the arrogant Virginia "fans" you are attacking. As there is in most every fan base, there are glaring differences. Of course, there are snooty, nose-in-the-air Cavalier fans as there are backwoodsy Virginia Tech fans. I will vouch for both. However, if you'd leave this insulated bubble and go to Orange, Louisa, or Nelson counties sometime, you'd find a whole lot of blue-collar Virginia fans, wearing jersies that look like they've been through the wash many dozen times. Likewise, if you go to Northern Virginia, you'd see very cocksure and impolite Hokie fans, some of which live quite affluently.

To the second part of the second section, that is also incorrect on the whole. Sure, a large number of northern Virginians would love to cut the state off at Roanoke and along 460 in the south. However, especially with regards to myself, coming from this part of the world and as a "true" Virginia fan (which you think would be contradictory), I frankly like the lifestyle differences among different regions of the state. It's an amalgamation, a melting pot, if you will, of many different ways of life. I could care less about someone's geographical location: if you're genuine, regardless your personal beliefs, I'll likely enjoy your company. Location is irrelevant.

(As an aside, G-Man, I truly want to know why you have such a pent-up hatred for Virginia. It baffles me, since I know of very few Virginia fans who have that level of hatred for Virginia Tech. PM me if you would like to discuss.)

I expected something like this, honestly, upon my return from Jacksonville (which was FAR, FAR better than what I heard from Hokie and Cavalier sources alike; not the best [given that I sprained an ankle stepping onto a sidewalk where the ground was literally three inches above the asphalt], but not terrible). The "choke" word coming up. The players didn't choke: the team played valiantly all game, while the defense couldn't make one last 4th-down stop. The Groh assemblage, on the other hand, CHOKED. In this game, I saw perhaps the single-worst play call in my 22 years upon this Earth: on the 2nd-and-7, with near 3:30 to go in the game on the Virginia 11 and a 28-21 lead for Virginia, Mike/Al Groh asks true freshman Peter Lalich to throw a SCREEN PASS. Quite predictably, Texas Tech sent the house and caused Lalich to fumble on his own 4. Right then and there, I knew Virginia would lose this game. Instead of putting the game in the hands of Mikell Simpson (who had 170 yards on the game), you put the January bowl game and the chance for Virginia's second 10-win season EVER on the arm of an unproven true freshman. If this doesn't happen, the game likely goes into overtime, or Virginia makes one last stop to win the game. FREAKING BRILLIANT!

If you'd have told me Mikell Simpson would have 20 carries for 170 yards, and the Virginia defense would have 2 safeties and hold Texas Tech to 31 points, I'd have sworn we would've won. I definitely congratulate Texas Tech: the Red Raiders did everything they had to do (and often out of desperation) to win the game. They were the better team on this day. The sun came up on the morning of the second, and the stomach-punch suffered on the previous day starts to heal...

Lovable team, great season, many questions still to answer...

[/ QUOTE ]

The first part of the post was meant to be stupid since some fool called VT fans "classless" in this post. There was nothing classless about any of the posts. I just wanted to give him what he wanted.

I don't have any pent-up hatred for UVA...I wear my emotions about them on my sleeve. I let the world know what a bunch of arrogant SOBs UVA fans are...but MOST of people already know that. And, if you don't believe their is any hatred for VT from the UVA crowd, just read LeSabre.com...plenty of snooty, hatred there.

As for Jacksonville, ANYTHING is "far, far better" than Boise...I guess its all a matter of where your are accustomed to going...its definitely a step down from New Orleans, Miami, and even the ATL...

[ QUOTE ]

Texas Tech beat UVA 31-28....i hate to tell you uva fans ya'll just suck!

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is simple that the young man at the beginning of the thread attacks UVA and does not understand class and obviously you don’t either just because someone may hit the wrong key when typing a word. I would say a 9-4 record would not suck.

[ QUOTE ]

The first part of the post was meant to be stupid since some fool called VT fans "classless" in this post. There was nothing classless about any of the posts. I just wanted to give him what he wanted.

I don't have any pent-up hatred for UVA...I wear my emotions about them on my sleeve. I let the world know what a bunch of arrogant SOBs UVA fans are...but MOST of people already know that. And, if you don't believe their is any hatred for VT from the UVA crowd, just read LeSabre.com...plenty of snooty, hatred there.

As for Jacksonville, ANYTHING is "far, far better" than Boise...I guess its all a matter of where your are accustomed to going...its definitely a step down from New Orleans, Miami, and even the ATL...

[/ QUOTE ]

The first part of your post stereotyped Virginia fans, while you attempted to defend the stereotype given to Virginia Tech fans. Basically, you did the exact same thing that you blast Virginia fans for. Not only is that simple hypocrisy, but it's fairly classless.

Second, you lump all Virginia fans into the "arrogant SOB" category. That's like me saying that all Virginia Tech fans are toothless hicks. Of course, I would NEVER say that for two reasons: I, with all my heart, don't believe such a statement; and, it's impossible to substantiate!

You believe that TheSabre is an accurate sampling of Virginia fans, when it's truly not. Most of the posters do not take part in Virginia Tech bashing. Those people who do are often the most near-sighted fans who have nothing better to do than blast Virginia Tech at every available opportunity. Every fanbase has that. I'm dealing with it right now...

Man, if anything's apparent, look at what Virginia put on in Scott Stadium for you all this year. When I go to Lane next year to support my team, we'll see if any of that "Virginia Pride" is reciprocated. We all know it won't. And we're the arrogant SOBs...

I wasn't speaking about Jacksonville being better than where the team was "accustomed to going". I was speaking in terms of the city itself: I had a bad dinner experience, and I sprained my ankle, but I enjoyed my time there very much.

If you want to talk about where Virginia is "accustomed to going" for bowl games, we'll do that. Virginia has been to Boise just twice, Charlotte just twice, but has also been to the Gator Bowl twice, the Sugar Bowl once, and the Peach Bowl three times. That's a fairly wide variety of places, don't you think? Even Virginia goes to the places the Hokies are "accustomed to going". Kind of shoots that statement down before it even gets off the ground.

Give me a Florida bowl game on New Year's Day, and I'll be pleased. Even if the loss was heartbreaking. At least I'm not alone today in bemoaning a heartbreaking loss.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The first part of your post stereotyped Virginia fans, while you attempted to defend the stereotype given to Virginia Tech fans. Basically, you did the exact same thing that you blast Virginia fans for. Not only is that simple hypocrisy, but it's fairly classless.

Second, you lump all Virginia fans into the "arrogant SOB" category. That's like me saying that all Virginia Tech fans are toothless hicks. Of course, I would NEVER say that for two reasons: I, with all my heart, don't believe such a statement; and, it's impossible to substantiate!

You believe that TheSabre is an accurate sampling of Virginia fans, when it's truly not. Most of the posters do not take part in Virginia Tech bashing. Those people who do are often the most near-sighted fans who have nothing better to do than blast Virginia Tech at every available opportunity. Every fanbase has that. I'm dealing with it right now...

Man, if anything's apparent, look at what Virginia put on in Scott Stadium for you all this year. When I go to Lane next year to support my team, we'll see if any of that "Virginia Pride" is reciprocated. We all know it won't. And we're the arrogant SOBs...

I wasn't speaking about Jacksonville being better than where the team was "accustomed to going". I was speaking in terms of the city itself: I had a bad dinner experience, and I sprained my ankle, but I enjoyed my time there very much.

If you want to talk about where Virginia is "accustomed to going" for bowl games, we'll do that. Virginia has been to Boise just twice, Charlotte just twice, but has also been to the Gator Bowl twice, the Sugar Bowl once, and the Peach Bowl three times. That's a fairly wide variety of places, don't you think? Even Virginia goes to the places the Hokies are "accustomed to going". Kind of shoots that statement down before it even gets off the ground.

Give me a Florida bowl game on New Year's Day, and I'll be pleased. Even if the loss was heartbreaking. At least I'm not alone today in bemoaning a heartbreaking loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone else here remember when UVA played WVU and the UVA Pep Band all dressed up like Hillbillies and made fun of the WVU fans???? THAT was reall CLASSY!!! I even think the Gov. of WV demanded an apology from the school. That was also the end of the UVA Pep Band.

[ QUOTE ]

The scramble band didn't fare so well at the University of Virginia, where the student-run Pep Band was replaced by a traditional marching band in 2004. The Pep Band was known for high-energy halftime shows that relied more on humor than musicality to entertain. It had been at odds with athletics officials for several years.

In 1993, the athletics department assembled a replacement band that was booed lustily by the Cavalier crowd, and that attempt was abandoned. But the Pep Band's demise followed on the heels of its halftime show during the Continental Tire Bowl in 2002, in which it parodied the popular reality show of the time, The Bachelor, and depicted a female West Virginia student wearing pigtails and overalls.

The governor of West Virginia demanded and received an apology from the UVA president. A year later, the athletics department banned the Pep Band from performing at all athletic events, and in 2004 it installed the Cavalier Marching Band. The Pep Band, though still active, has been reduced to a novelty act.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.stanfordalumni.org/news/magazine/2007/sepoct/features/scatterbands.html