Class A D1.....D2

coalminer

Can someone please explain how the teams will advance to the regionals when all teams play in the district tourneys.

Is there D1 and D2 district tourneys? Is there D1 and D2 regionals, or am I just confused by all of this vhsl "BS"?

I'm probably not the one that should try to answer the question, but as I understand it, the district tournaments will remain the same. The region tournaments change. There will be a D1 tournament and a D2 tournament. The D1 Region D Tourney will be at Castlewood from what I hear and the D2 Region D tourney will be at Lebanon.

How do teams advance? If I understand it correctly it's the top three teams out of each district. How does it work when there are a few teams in a district and only one is D2 the rest are D1 (as in the BDD) I don't really know. I don't know if I answered anything or if I confused you worse!

I've not kept up with it, but the original plan was to give teams points based on where they finished in both the reg. season & the dist. tournament (like they do in the coaches poll - 10,8,6,4,2 or something like that). Then the Regionals would seed 8 teams on these points. And, basically, only the tourney champs were guaranteed a spot.

Again, I don't know if that's what their actually doing or not.

This was in one of our local papers down here in early January, explaining Region D's format. Each Region was to develop their own plan. Like Helper said, it may have changed again since then, I think Region C has changed theirs from what it originally was, so with that said....

From the Kingsport-times...

"Automatic berths are assigned to regular season champions and district tournament champions. If regular season and district tournament champs are the same, district tournament runner-ups also garner automatic berths. On the opposite end of things, the last place team in the regular-season standings must finish in the top three in the district tournament to meet minimum requirements for regional play.

For seeding purposes, teams will be awarded points for regular-season order of finish (16 points for first, 12 for second, nine for third, six for fourth and three points for fifth through seventh) and for district tournament order of finish (12 points for first, 10 for second, nine for third, six for fourth and three for fifth through seventh).

Take note: this means that district tournaments will now include consolation matchups which are quite meaningful.

Of course, there are tiebreakers in place for both the regular-season ranking process and the regional seeding process. And play-in games are not entirely ruled out.

The regional tournament week tentatively will begin Tuesday, Feb. 26, with girls Division 1 and Division 2 quarterfinals played at satellite sites, with the higher seed hosting. Boys quarterfinals will follow the same format the next day.

Girls semifinals will be played Thursday, Feb. 27 at Castlewood and/or Lebanon high schools with the boys semifinals set for Feb. 28 at the same sites. The boys and girls region championships — that’s four games, folks — will be played at Virginia High on Saturday, Feb. 29. The following week, eight teams from the region will advance to the expanded Group A state tournament, culminating with the semifinals and finals in Richmond."