Another Bottle Coach gone

'Heartbroken' Williams won't return at John Battle

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008

BY Allen Gregory

Sports Writer

BRISTOL HERALD COURIER

BRISTOL, Va. — Jenny Williams glanced around the John Battle High School gym and shook her head.

"I feel heartbroken," Williams said.

Since 1978, Williams has served as the head volleyball coach for the Trojans. Williams will not return for a 29th year, however.

"I went in for my evaluation after Christmas and was expecting to hear ‘good job’ for another successful season. But instead, I was told I would not be rehired," said Williams, in a written statement.

John Battle athletic director Larry Cannon declined comment on the matter.

The Trojans posted a 16-5 record in 2007 with a young roster. Williams said she was unsure why she was not rehired, but did list several issues that were addressed during her evaluation.

Those issues range from a misunderstanding relating to a purchase order for coaching apparel, a failure to attend coaches’ meetings, communication problems with her coaching staff, and players being unsure of practice times.

Williams said a vision problem prevented her from attending the 2007 postseason meetings where the all-district and all-region volleyball teams were selected.

"At the time of the meetings, I could not see to get to the meeting location in Gate City," Williams said. "I could not even get to school, missing 21 days.

"I called the Gate City coach and gave her my nominations and stats. I knew my not being there would not hurt my players ... That was the first meeting I’ve missed in my career."

As for the uncertainties with practice times, Williams doesn’t see a problem.

"My players always knew when practices were going to be, and I let my junior varsity coach decide when she wanted to practice," Williams said.

Williams said she believed the issue within coaching staff stemmed from the fact that the daughter of her assistant coach plays on the team.

"The disagreement was about her daughter starting," Williams said. "It’s a tough situation. To avoid conflict, I took turns with another player in that position."

Shortly after Williams said she "lost track" of the starting rotation, an argument ensued between Williams and her assistant.

"It was after practice and all the players had left the gym," Williams said. "I did lose my temper and the principal witnessed it.

"The problem was solved on our own. I apologized. To my knowledge it was never mentioned again. I never dreamed it would cost me my job."

In terms of numbers, the Williams resume ranks among the best of any prep coach in Virginia. She has 492 career wins, along with nine regional and two state championships.

"I’ve been coaching for 28 years without a losing season," Williams said. "I’ve coached over half my life at Battle, and I am so very proud of the accomplishments of my players.

"The kids were already talking about how they were going to celebrate my 500th win."

Williams admitted she has a passion for volleyball, and that passion was often reflected in her fiery style of coaching.

"I have a reputation for being a tough coach, but I loved and respected my players," Williams said. "I let them know nobody was better than they were, and I also stressed winning because it teaches kids that hard work pays off."

As for deciding to go public with her comments, Williams said it was important to express her side.

"I hope that I gain people’s respect by telling the truth," Williams said. "I could have said that I was retiring due to health reasons, but that would be a lie.

"... I can’t believe this is happening to me. All through the season, everything was going smoothly. That’s what I thought."

Williams said she continues to struggle with the sudden end of her run as Battle volleyball coach.

"At first, I was shocked," Williams said. "Now, I am just hurt. One of the things I loved doing most was taken from me without a logical answer or unreasonable explanation.

"... I do have a serious medical condition, but I would be the first to bow out if I could not give 100 percent. That should be my decision."

As for her future, Williams said she would be open to coaching volleyball at another school.

"That’s a possibility," Williams said.

It looks like they want to replace the coach and they use their evaluation to get rid of the coach. It just goes to show that no one is safe. I hope that they have a good replacement ready. Good Luck Coach Williams