Montcalm gets a new General

bluefieldRocks

BLUEFIELD — Craig Havens figured being the head coach at two different schools in two different sports was a little too much.

He has given up one of those positions.

Havens, who took over at the boys basketball coach at Bluefield High School last season, has given up the head football position after eight seasons at the helm at Montcalm.

While Havens will remain as an assistant at Montcalm, Justin Gilbert, the head baseball coach at Bluefield, will take over the reins of the Generals.

“I was just in a situation where I don’t think you can do justice at two different places,†said Havens, who joked that “I never said I was a football coachâ€. “I think it’s time I give one of them up, at least as far as being the head coach.

“Being an assistant is different. Being the head coach with all the responsibilities and all the things there are to do, that’s just a little different.â€

Havens feels that Gilbert, who attended Graham and served as an assistant coach last year at Pocahontas, will bring knowledge and enthusiasm to the position.

“I think he will do a good job. He knows football, he’s young and enthusiastic,†said Havens, whose Generals finished 1-9 last season. “I look forward to him having the opportunity to show what he is capable of, and I think he’ll do a good job.â€

Havens will remain as an assistant and a teacher at Montcalm and will continue to coach the Bluefield boys hoops squad. He’s proud of some of the achievements that have occurred at the small Mercer County school during his tenure.

“I think we made a lot of strides with the stadium and we had a winning season,†Havens said. “We had more wins than we’ve ever had. I had great kids to work with and I enjoyed that. I’m not getting out totally, I’ll still be an assistant.â€

While Keith Pennington was the head coach at Montcalm when the program started in 1994, Havens has held the job for the last eight years. During that time, the Generals posted a best-ever 8-2 record in 2005, and Havens was able to coach both of his sons, Adam and Justin.

“The thing that I enjoyed was all the players that played for me,†said Havens, whose place as boys basketball coach at Montcalm was taken last season by his son, Justin. “I enjoyed the opportunity to work with the kids, and I’m still going to work with the kids.â€

Gilbert knows success, and the other end of the spectrum. He played for the legendary Glynn Carlock at ultra-successful Graham, and was an assistant last season during the final year of existence for the Pocahontas Indians.

“We had an opportunity here where I think Justin is a a very wise young man that has a lot of knowledge about game of football,†said Havens, about Gilbert, who is an assistant for Havens in boys hoops at Bluefield. “He went to Graham and played there under coach Carlock so he’s been at that level, and he’s coached at Pocahontas and understands the differences in the two.

“He understands about coaching at a small single A school and the adjustments you have to make.â€

Gilbert will be familiar with the players, Havens said, since he teaches at Montcalm during the first semester.

“Coaching in general, you’ve got to have a lot of enthusiasm and he’s got that,†Havens said. “He’s got an opportunity there at Montcalm, he’s enthusiastic and knows a lot about it.

“He cares about the kids. It was a good time for him to get in and a good time for me to get out. It works out for me well and it works out for Montcalm real well.â€

Much has improved at Montcalm over the last few years, leaving the 26-game losing streak earlier this decade as just a distant memory. The football facilities have been improved, from the bleachers, to lights that were installed last season, and a fieldhouse that is expected to be completed for the upcoming campaign.

“That’s something I am proud of with the field we’ve got there and the stands and the lights,†Havens said. “They’re still working on the fieldhouse and that’s one of the reasons I want to stay involved.

“I want to watch and oversee the growth of the facility. It’s just going to be a wonderful place for Class A football.â€

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_194210336.html