Wayne beats James Monroe 31-10

MavsRock

Several people said this would be a good measuring stick as to where we were in the rebuilding process. Well, James Monroe was weighed, measured, and definetly found wanting.

Bottom line is there front 7 strait up whipped ours. When you return 2 1000 yd rushers and can barely crack the line of scrimmage, and your opponent rushes for well over 300 yds, you know you've got some work to do up front.

Not a whole lot of good things from this game. Some observations are that Jackson needs to run more twin-back sets than spread until the o-line settles down. Logan Ray had a good night @ WR, making big catches on both scoring drives, setting up his own FG on the last one. John Ballengee looked descent at QB, when he had time to throw. Taylor Robertson for some reason looked lost at QB when we ran the spread.

We "should" beat Oak Hill next week, looks like they're worse than us, then we've got Pikeview at home, we've got those 2 games to get it together before big road games at Scott and Wyoming East. Definetly picked a bad year to schedule Wayne as the first game of the year.

Several people said this would be a good measuring stick as to where we were in the rebuilding process. Well, James Monroe was weighed, measured, and definetly found wanting.

Bottom line is there front 7 strait up whipped ours. When you return 2 1000 yd rushers and can barely crack the line of scrimmage, and your opponent rushes for well over 300 yds, you know you've got some work to do up front.

Not a whole lot of good things from this game. Some observations are that Jackson needs to run more twin-back sets than spread until the o-line settles down. Logan Ray had a good night @ WR, making big catches on both scoring drives, setting up his own FG on the last one. John Ballengee looked descent at QB, when he had time to throw. Taylor Robertson for some reason looked lost at QB when we ran the spread.

We "should" beat Oak Hill next week, looks like they're worse than us, then we've got Pikeview at home, we've got those 2 games to get it together before big road games at Scott and Wyoming East. Definetly picked a bad year to schedule Wayne as the first game of the year.

yea well the mavs are young much like the beavers..give em time and i'm sure both teams will have it turned around come november and playoff time

I just got to watch this game (I was in Wisconsin over the weekend) and here are my impressions.

1. Wayne dominated the offensive line of scrimmage the first three quarters.

2. James Monroe was more successful when Ballengee was QB under center.

3. Taylor Robertson had a very good defensive game for James Monroe.

4. James Monroe played much better in the third and fourth quarters.

My thoughts? James Monroe seemed to improve as the game went along. Wayne scaled back what it did, but James Monroe was very good defensively in the 4th period. I think James Monroe will get things straightened out on offense as the season progresses.

I think the Mavericks are going to be a force come playoff time. Good teams make in-game improvements, even when things are going bad. James Monroe was able to do that.

As for the officiating...it was good 90% of the time. I noticed one very generous spot in Wayne's favor, and one terrible spot in James Monroe's. Wayne's QB scrambled, went beyond the stick and stepped out of bounds...the ball was marked back behind the stick. next play, Wayne's RB gets a big run, but there's a downfield hold called. Upon watching the play, Wayne's WR engages the DB, who pulls the Wayne WR to the ground (hands were always inside and he went straight down, not sideways...the appearance was that he got pancaked, even though he pulled the Wayne WR down on him)...same official who made the bad spot the play before comes in and drops flag as he runs downfield.

Same series, Wayne throws a pass down the right side incomplete...lot of contact. Flag is thrown for pass interference, but waived off for a "tipped" pass. It was not tipped, nor was it even close to beind tipped, and the ball even had a tight spiral. Wasn't even questionable.

Also, Logan Ray was flagged for a late hit earlier in the game, but that flag was also picked up and waived off.

But as I said before, James Monroe will be a factor come playoff time. Robertson, Kiessel, Ballangee, etc are too good not to be, and the lines got better as the game wore on.

I don't see it coming back. Too many hated it. I hated it at first, but after a period of time, it grew on me and I actually developed a respect for it. While watching the game the other night, I did find myself wondering if things might be different if they were still running it. It'll be interesting to watch how they develop over the season. They did seem to improve somewhat as the night went on. Interesting season ahead.

Edited by gomavs

I'm wondering if this season doesn't turn out like many in Monroe Co. have hoped, will the JM coaching staff abandon the new look offense and embrace the Single Wing again?

No the single wing is gone. Suits me just fine...

No the single wing is gone. Suits me just fine...

You have to execute the singlewing to perfection if it's really to work, giles if I'm not mistaken, uses the singlewing in their youth league programs, it has to be something you know longterm, I don't think it's something that's very effective just thrown at players when they reach high school.

It also seems to me as an o that requires 3 real qb type of players in the backfield. Only my opinion though.

It has nothing to do with what type of offense we are now running. It's the fact that we lost our entire o-line to graduation. It doesn't matter what offense we run this year. The bottom line is we just have a young team that will develop over time. If we were still running the single wing we would still struggle this year because you have to have a big o-line to be successful with it and we are just not that big this year. I like the new offense. The kids just need more time with it.

Giles is a little down this year, I agree, but we would be just plum awfull if we scrapped the wing and went to the spread. Ive said it many times on here, The single wing is perfect for Giles, JM, and other schools that are not flooded with D-1 talent. Its a team-work system, and if 11 men do there assignment, it works. Its proven. The spread relys too much on sheer athletisism. Id rather run 6 plays and run them perfect than to (half-way) know 3 or 4 different sets and 50 plays. I really dont have a dog in this fight, Im just defending the offense that brought you the most success in JM history.

Giles is also struggling this year. If they can't win with the single wing, then nobody can. Got to have the players no matter what you run...

I agree with you about that.

I wasn't suggeting that not using the single wing had anything to do with the mavericks in '08 though, only that I'm not certain if yall ever got to the point with the single wing to really appreciate it the way giles fans do. In my opinion it's a really hard scheme to do right.

And you're absolutely right about running it in little league. Giles begins with it early on and the kids really learn the ins and outs whereas Peterstown used some single wing formations in little league but mostly other formations and sets and middle school did not use it much if any at all. (Although I believe Union did incorporate it into their little league and middle school.) Giles uses spin series, etc., but I don't believe JM ever got into that - just straight up run.

actually, I think JM opened it up a little more than Giles. Giles is just straight up run, and buck lateral. Spin series doesnt go well with buck series for some reason. I watched quite a few JM games while they ran the wing. It was fun to watch if you are a smash mouth fan like myself.

I'm wondering if this season doesn't turn out like many in Monroe Co. have hoped, will the JM coaching staff abandon the new look offense and embrace the Single Wing again?

It won't come back with Donnie Jackson as coach. I'm still kind of neuutral on the whole single wing arguement. The positive is that most years it fits the personell well, and the kids seemed to pick up on it fast. The negative is that if someone adjusts to it, which can be done, it's succeptable to being completely shut down.

As far as the success the last 3 years, it has as much, if not more to do with the defense. Alot of people forget that if not for some timely defensive and special teams plays against Magnolia, we wouldn't have went to Wheeling, they had it figured out coming in.

The offense we have now will eventually work, it's just a matter of time before the line catches on, but I think it will happen. Hopefully not, but if we have similar problems against Oak Hill, I won't be as optomistic.