Do away with the BCS!!!

wvuraiders

I have been watching byu and ucla ( who beat UT) and of course watched ecu beat wvu and tech. After flipping back and forth from gt vs tech and byu vs ucla...I think too myself byu is better then the other 3 teams so I pose this question....What are your opinions of getting rid of bcs confernces and let the two best teams play form across the land...Scholarships have been cut for major programs thus major talent is going everywhere and many of the smaller schools are more competitive than the larger ones....Granted the bcs has benefited wvu ( who I am a major fan of) however seems the bcs could be changed whether be it a playoff or getting rid of "quote" bcs conferences. Your thoughts for discussion are welcomed.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

ECU will lose sooner than later, I see them as a USF team of last year. BYU isnt that good, look at last week. UT and UCLA are just horrible.

No need to get rid of the BCS conferences, but maybe someday a new one will be added and another dropped.

And BTW, the 2 best teams can play from across the land every year in the BCS title game, conferences do not matter...

I have been watching byu and ucla ( who beat UT) and of course watched ecu beat wvu and tech. After flipping back and forth from gt vs tech and byu vs ucla...I think too myself byu is better then the other 3 teams so I pose this question....What are your opinions of getting rid of bcs confernces and let the two best teams play form across the land...Scholarships have been cut for major programs thus major talent is going everywhere and many of the smaller schools are more competitive than the larger ones....Granted the bcs has benefited wvu ( who I am a major fan of) however seems the bcs could be changed whether be it a playoff or getting rid of "quote" bcs conferences. Your thoughts for discussion are welcomed.

I wont say I am in favor of eliminating the BCS but you make the point that with scholarships being cut there is talent everywhere, not just in the BCS conferences. Just about every team is going to have there ups and downs. I dont know if we will ever see an unbeaten team from a BCS conference again. One and sometimes two loss teams will play for the national championship, further allowing politics to decide who gets in.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
I wont say I am in favor of eliminating the BCS but you make the point that with scholarships being cut there is talent everywhere, not just in the BCS conferences. Just about every team is going to have there ups and downs. I dont know if we will ever see an unbeaten team from a BCS conference again. One and sometimes two loss teams will play for the national championship, further allowing politics to decide who gets in.

which is why, in my opinion, all human involvement should be taken out of factoring in the BCS polls. Let the computers do it without the coaches and writers, no bias, no politics, no crooked voting.

I just tied my Unicorn up in the yard to eat clover..........

Oh yeah, will never happen $$$$$ dictates it all. You have the BCS folks and Notre Dame (who is treated as their one team BCS conference) They will throw all the poor student athletes cannot play more games than they do now arguements, etc... Seems like the only time the folks worry about the "student athletes" and their academic needs is when they use it in an arguement for something else they want. *see the division formerly known as 1AA.

If you wanted a more fair way to do it, just adapt the stance that you don't rank anyone until after Oct.1. This would keep the folks like USC (who deservedly are #1) from getting a jump on the other lower ranked teams the so-called experts start either unranked or lower.

See Auburn a few years back. Schools are ranked based on recent history, etc. Would anyone who saw Michigan 2 years ago get totally demolished by USC in the Rose Bowl pick them as preseason #5? Oh yeah they would! Why? Because they are one of the top 2 all-time winningest programs so you have to rank them high. They were proven SLOOOOOOOOW on D the year before and by APP.St.

As for BYU better than all the others, etc. It is really hard to compare scores. Do you realistically think they could beat UT by more than 60 points? Too many factors are involved when you do that, momentum is such a huge key in college ball.

I just tied my Unicorn up in the yard to eat clover..........

If you wanted a more fair way to do it, just adapt the stance that you don't rank anyone until after Oct.1. This would keep the folks like USC (who deservedly are #1) from getting a jump on the other lower ranked teams the so-called experts start either unranked or lower.

Did you not just contradict yourself. Is it Oct. 1 yet. You can rank USC number 1 now but the experts arent that smart huh.

which is why, in my opinion, all human involvement should be taken out of factoring in the BCS polls. Let the computers do it without the coaches and writers, no bias, no politics, no crooked voting.

If that were the case, Virginia Tech were no. 1 in the computer polls and would have been playing in the national championship last year. Did we deserve that? That answer is pretty obvious...

Guest BEAVERTAIL
If that were the case, Virginia Tech were no. 1 in the computer polls and would have been playing in the national championship last year. Did we deserve that? That answer is pretty obvious...

Who is to say VT didnt?

Computers dont lie. When you put in all of the facts, facts that is not opinions, VT turned out to look the best. They beat out LSU by one hundreth (.950 to .960). They lost to 2 teams with a combined record of 21-5, with one loss by the hands of VT. LSU lost to 2 teams outside the BCS top 25, with a combined record of 15-9. WVU beat BCS contender at the time BC on a neutral field while also avenging an earlier loss.

If you look at the #3 team in the computer polls, Ohio State, they only lost one game but it was to Illinois (9-3), who only beat one top 25 team from the end of regular season rankings, Wisconsin. Consequently, so did Ohio State which was also the only top 25 team they defeated.

and so on and so forth... As you can see from the above, I never mentioned who was hotter at what time, when losses occur, or how things might have happened if x player wasnt hurt or the refs made the right call. All facts, and VT has a strong resume.

Edited by BEAVERTAIL
clarification.

The only problem with that is that HUMANS write the programs which the computers use to determine the rank of the teams...there is no way possible to take the human element out of it...

Who is to say VT didnt?

Computers dont lie. When you put in all of the facts, facts that is not opinions, VT turned out to look the best. They beat out LSU by one hundreth (.950 to .960). They lost to 2 teams with a combined record of 21-5, with one loss by the hands of VT. LSU lost to 2 teams outside the BCS top 25, with a combined record of 15-9. WVU beat BCS contender at the time BC on a neutral field while also avenging an earlier loss.

If you look at the #3 team in the computer polls, Ohio State, they only lost one game but it was to Illinois (9-3), who only beat one top 25 team from the end of regular season rankings, Wisconsin. Consequently, so did Ohio State which was also the only top 25 team they defeated.

and so on and so forth... As you can see from the above, I never mentioned who was hotter at what time, when losses occur, or how things might have happened if x player wasnt hurt or the refs made the right call. All facts, and VT has a strong resume.

Fair enough. But I was taking into account our performance in the Orange Bowl. Would we have performed better in a national championship? Obviously that's a speculative question, but I couldn't imagine that being the case.