Wythe County Sports Hall of Fame

81Snowbowl30

I just had the great honor of watching one of the finest men I have ever met get inducted in to the Wythe County Sports Hall of Fame. Mr. Maurice Johnson showed why he is known for his modesty and class during his speech when he diverted his well deserved attention to his mother's battle with breast cancer and how she is the true "Hall of Famer". Mr. Johnson is the only man I have ever seen who could play, coach and referee a sport equally as well. It was an honor when he asked my son to play on the AAU basketball team he coached and an even greater honor to be invited to his induction. If more people were like Mr. Johnson, high schools sports would be a lot better off. He also coached all five starters and several reserves on last year's state championship basketball team at George Wythe High school in AAU since they were in the fourth grade.

From the Roanoke Times...

Johnson, Dix to join Wythe County hall

Former George Wythe basketball star Maurice Johnson and versatile ex-Rural Retreat athlete Johnny Dix will be inducted this week into the Wythe County Sports Hall of Fame.

Johnson scored more than 1,200 points and totalled more than 500 assists and 200 steals at George Wythe in a career that ended in 1985. Johnson helped lead the Maroons under head coach Pat Burns to a berth in the Group AA semifinals where they lost to eventual runner-up R.E. Lee-Staunton.

Johnson was a nominee for the McDonald's All-American Game and went on to play guard at Western Carolina.

Johnson joins his father, Reese, as a member of the Wythe County shrine.

Dix earned 17 varsity letters at Rural Retreat -- four apiece in football, basketball, baseball and track and field, and one in golf. Dix is the head football coach at Rural Retreat Middle School and is a varsity football assistant.

The induction ceremony will take place at 6:30 tonight at Wytheville Country Club. Johnson and Dix will be recognized during halftime of Friday night's Hogoheegee District football game in Rural Retreat between the Indians and George Wythe.