Salem to state semi

the watcher

Spartans dominate Red Devils

The day after the death of the Salem coach's father, the Spartans win a state quarterfinal.

By Robert Anderson

981-3123

RUSTBURG -- David Turk had to come all the way to Campbell County to find a group of girls he hadn't seen for awhile.

On the gym floor at Rustburg High School, the Salem volleyball coach found his team.

Salem, which opened the 2008 season on fire, came up with perhaps its finest match at the perfect time Tuesday night as the Spartans defeated Rustburg 25-17, 25-23, 25-21 in a Group AA quarterfinal.

Salem (22-4) next gets a fourth match of the year against River Ridge District rival Hidden Valley in a 3 p.m. state semifinal Friday at the Siegel Center in Richmond. The Spartans hold a 2-1 edge over Hidden Valley but lost to the Titans in Saturday's Region IV championship match.

"That's the real Salem team," Turk said. "We can play like that. This is us."

Salem completely dominated the match, never allowing Rustburg (22-4) to lead by more than one point at any juncture.

"They played great," Rustburg coach Kristen Hardie said. "They took us out of everything."

Salem's balance showed.

Rachel Turk, the coach's daughter, had 26 assists as she spread the ball to all sides. Middle hitter Kelsey Bradshaw led the way with eight kills, while Kayla Paxton and Emily Richardson added seven apiece. Meghan Bolton had five aces, while Paxton had 15 digs.

Many of Salem's kills came on quick sets by Turk, who caught the Red Devils flat-footed all night.

"I don't know if they hadn't seen it before or they were just worried about other things," she said.

Turk and her dad had plenty on their minds Tuesday. David Turk's father, Herman, died Monday. Funeral services will be held Thursday, the day before the state semifinal.

Much of Monday and Tuesday at the Turk household was spent handling the arrangements.

"I texted the girls earlier today," Rachel Turk said. "I told them he loved watching his grandkids play sports. He got to watch both of my brothers win two state [football] championships each. I told them I'd be playing for him. Most of them texted me back and told me they'd be doing the same thing."

Paxton, who clinched the second game with a block off a rocket by Rustburg freshman Michelle Heath, said the head coach set the tone for the match with a business-as-usual approach around the team.

"He's really good with focusing on the team and putting everything else aside," Paxton said. "It made us more motivated. We wanted the best for him."

Somehow, Turk had the ball in her hands serving on match point, which was put away on Bolton's left-handed smash.

It was a fitting end.

"You saw how she played today," David Turk said of his daughter. "It has been just as tough on her. She and her granddad were very close. The way she played tonight is the way she is as a person.

"I've got a great family. That's our strength. It was OK. We got everything done. Everyone's working together."

Next stop, VCU. Salem will be looking for its first state title since the 1997-98 winter season.

"I'm so excited," Paxton said. "Salem really deserves to go this year. I really think this is our year. It's going to happen."