Usc-texas

thefactman

I think this would had been a much better football game!!
The best team in college football doesn't even get to play for the national championship...i think its time for a playoff

Guest BEAVERTAIL
The best team in college football doesn't even get to play for the national championship...i think its time for a playoff

Ill ask you this, would the best team in college football lose a game? USC isnt in the game because they blew it. USC would have lost to Alabama, OK, UF, Texas... They are playing a very weak conference champion.

Dont believe me? Look at the last 2 years...

Right now, USC is playing like the best team. Sanchez on fire, the running game not too shabby, the defense is smothering. Granted they are playing against the winner of the Big Ten, but they are demolishing them at that. Very, very impressive.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
if we had a playoff this year, USC would def win the national title

The Big 10 is horrible. And im a huge Joe Pa fan.

Let them play a decent team, the only one they played they lost to, Oregon St.

Ill ask you this, would the best team in college football lose a game? USC isnt in the game because they blew it. USC would have lost to Alabama, OK, UF, Texas... They are playing a very weak conference champion.

Dont believe me? Look at the last 2 years...

the two that are playing for the national championship also have losses

Guest BEAVERTAIL
the two that are playing for the national championship also have losses

All im saying is that they had the easiest road, and lost.

They knew coming into the season that if they didnt lose, they would be in the National Championship. Guess what, they failed. And if you fail to do what is needed, then you cant complain.

The Big 10 is horrible. And im a huge Joe Pa fan.

Let them play a decent team, the only one they played they lost to, Oregon St.

Don't look now, but the Pac 10 is 5-0 in their bowl games this season. That's right, the "worst conference in America" is going to win the bowl challenge. Frankly, I think everyone's underestimated the Pac-10 this season, seeing how the bowl games have went.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
Don't look now, but the Pac 10 is 5-0 in their bowl games this season. That's right, the "worst conference in America" is going to win the bowl challenge. Frankly, I think everyone's underestimated the Pac-10 this season, seeing how the bowl games have went.

But they beat Ok St, Pitt, BYU, and Miami.

BYU is a non BCS conference school, Ok st was 4th or 5th in thier conference, and Pitt was 2nd in the weak big east. Miami was mediocre in the weak ACC.

Matchups determine W-L in bowls more than strength of conferences... You cant tell me that 3 years ago the Big East was the best conference in the land when they went undefeated. My argument is that bowl games are a poor measuring stick...

But they beat Ok St, Pitt, BYU, and Miami.

BYU is a non BCS conference school, Ok st was 4th or 5th in thier conference, and Pitt was 2nd in the weak big east. Miami was mediocre in the weak ACC.

Matchups determine W-L in bowls more than strength of conferences... You cant tell me that 3 years ago the Big East was the best conference in the land when they went undefeated. My argument is that bowl games are a poor measuring stick...

More toward the BluefieldRocks:

OSU was the 4th-best team in a BRUTAL Big XII. Pitt was a good, but extremely overhyped, Big East team. BYU, as you said, was likely the 3rd/4th best non-BCS team in college football in a VERY STRONG year for non-BCS schools. Miami was the youngest, but most athletic, team in the ACC this year. And to top it off, Penn State was a 2-point swing away from playing in the national title game. Surely, you must derive some merit from the best of one conference beating those similarly situatied in another conference on a neutral field.

There's some merit in the argument that it's not a perfect, or even great, measuring stick. It's certainly not: look at the Sugar Bowl-the ACC #2 v. SEC #5. Until you get an "ACC#2 v. SEC#2" game, it's not entirely accurate. And it also totally neglects the bottom of the conference (non bowl-eligible teams). But I wouldn't say that it's a "poor" measuring stick. What IS a good measuring stick of a conference is when the SEC #5 beats the ACC #2 38-3. What's also a good measuring stick is when one conference constantly underperforms (COUGH-ACC-COUGH), and when a conference constantly does rather well in bowl games (like the SEC).

Edited by UVAObserver

Guest BEAVERTAIL

I agree with all of your points. I just don't think there is that big of a deal with the Pac-10 going 5-0, and like you said, if it continually happens it says something, look at USC vs. Big 10 for example, you should know not to go against USC, Big10 schools do not matchup with them at all.

However, a lot of things happen between the regular season and bowl season. I call it bowl season because it is almost ike a completely different season. You have to prepare differently, go through weeks of practice unlike before in your normal routine. Add in a few days in a new city with all the sights and sounds, you have a different animal in your game which changes both teams.

I think OOC regular season games should hold more weight than these bowl games, even if most are early in the season.

I agree with all of your points. I just don't think there is that big of a deal with the Pac-10 going 5-0, and like you said, if it continually happens it says something, look at USC vs. Big 10 for example, you should know not to go against USC, Big10 schools do not matchup with them at all.

However, a lot of things happen between the regular season and bowl season. I call it bowl season because it is almost ike a completely different season. You have to prepare differently, go through weeks of practice unlike before in your normal routine. Add in a few days in a new city with all the sights and sounds, you have a different animal in your game which changes both teams.

I think OOC regular season games should hold more weight than these bowl games, even if most are early in the season.

You've got a great point about the difference between bowl season and the regular season. Heck, look at Al Groh. Pitiful regular season coach, but an above average bowl game coach (could very easily be 5-0 in bowl games save epic collapses in both losses).

And I think the OOC regular season games are a big indicator, as well. Of course, USC playing UVA isn't as good an indicator as USC-Ohio State, given that one was 2nd in an 11-team league and one was 11th in a 12-team league. I certainly don't think the Pac-10 is the strongest; they bit the bullet against the Mountain West. Just like the Big Televen got punked by the MAC.