Rivals info on Will Cole

Arthuritis

VTHokieFans.comVT 2008 Target BoardVT 2009 Target BoardVT 2010 Target BoardContact Us

January 13, 2009

Brian Mohr

HokieHaven.com Publisher

Plenty of prospects have walked on at Virginia Tech and a number of them have even earned scholarships and ended up starting. A number of walk-on opportunities have been handed out to prospects and one has gone to a 6-foot-0, 180-pound quarterback.

Cole is interested in the walk-on from Tech, but will visit other schools as well.

"Coach Hite came by my school last Tuesday," Bluefield, W.V. quarterback Will Cole said. "He pretty much told me they weren't going to offer a quarterback in this class.

"He actually had already offered me a walk-on during the season. He reiterated that he'd love for me to walk-on.

"He also said he expects more I-AA schools will be coming in soon."

Cole already holds offers from Presbyterian and Morehead State and plans to visit both the next two weekends.

"Presbyterian's head coach resigned recently, so I want to see where I stand with them," he said. "I want to check out Morehead State. Both schools have my interest. I did send out about 40 tapes before Christmas, so I'm waiting to hear back."

Even though Tech can't offer Cole a scholarship, they are in solid position.

"It's great to get the walk-on offer from Virginia Tech," he said. "It's my dream school and a place I can really see myself at. It's close to home and I have a lot of friends up there and a couple on the team. I also know a couple recruits coming in this year. They are a great school and great football program, but I have to look at my options."

The two-star prospect led Bluefield to a 7-5 record this year.

"We had our ups and downs," he said. "I was proud of everyone for the way we changed things around. We started out rough, 0-3 and came back from that.

"I think I improved a lot from last year. I got smarter and became more of a leader and an overall better player."

Cole threw for 3,022-yards, 33 touchdowns and added 182-yards on the ground and seven touchdowns. He earned the Kennedy Award for the best player in West Virginia as well as first team all-state and player of the year by the Bluefield Telegraph and Pocahontas Coal Association.