Region IV tournament

region4fan

it seems like everyone is in love with blacksburg, any team can be beat on any night...personally i think teams that play blacksburg become intimidated and dont play to their level and therefore they make blacksburg look unstoppable

well, it is true that playing scared won't help you at all. that being said, i think abingdon would have to get some serious breaks and take advantage of every opportunity they get in order to win this one. blacksburg can be beaten, but abingdon would have to play a near perfect game to pull it off.

i guess we'll find out on thursday...and i think abingdon has a pretty good chance in winning this one

Abingdon has no chance of winning. I have seen both teams play. It is obivious you play for Abingdon, but have you seen Blacksburg play this year?

Abingdon has no chance of winning. I have seen both teams play. It is obivious you play for Abingdon, but have you seen Blacksburg play this year?

yeah and its pretty obvious you are a fan of blacksburg. you also thought cave spring would dominate but they are out. anything could happen on game day. you cant say abingdon has no chance

yeah and its pretty obvious you are a fan of blacksburg. you also thought cave spring would dominate but they are out. anything could happen on game day. you cant say abingdon has no chance

I never said Cave Spring would dominate Martinsville. We will see if Abingdon can keep up or not.

yeah you saw abingdon play in april at the cave spring jamboree, that shows nothing of what a team could play like now

I had the chance to watch the Blacksburg and Abingdon game last night. Just like I previously said, Abingdon did not have a chance. Blacksburg scored 3 goals in the first 9 minutes. After that it seemed as if they let off the gas somewhat. Even when Abingdon scored on a corner kick to make it 4-1, Blacksburg came right down and scored again. Score was 5-1 at halftime and Blacksburg emptied their bench as all their player had a chance to play.

The scarey thing..... Blacksburg only started 2 seniors while Abingdon was senior loaded. Blacksburg had 4 freshmen start, one of which had 2 goals. Talking with one of the Blacksburg parents, their JV team was 16-0 as well and they have some studs that were 8th graders including one that scored 28 goals. After dominating as Blacksburg was, I only see them getting better in the coming years.

Congrats to Abingdon on a fine year. #20 was a great player but seemed to attack more 1 on 1 instead of using his teammates.

SWD never stands a chance in regional play.

Look at the girls side.

"Mighty" graham who was blowing everyone out in the swd this year was shutout by salem 6-0

Then yesterday abingdon was "barely" beat by cave 12-0

Moral of the story, soccer in the swd will never compete with teams from the river ridge and beyond. Sad but true.

i also watched the game. aside from giving away three stupid goals in the first 11 or 12 minutes, they played well against bburg's starters. giving away cheap early goals is a great way to get yourself out of a match in a hurry. i dont know whether to credit nerves or what, but there you have it.

blacksburg looked far from invincible in this game and should really tune some things up if they want to make a run at things. they played very, very directly. in the second half abingdon's keeper played a lot higher and they had very few good looking opportunities, both with and without starters in the match. defensively, releford made an astounding save or two, but he put the ball on the ground a lot and his hands didnt look too good. abingdon didnt capitalize on his big mistakes, and like i said in an earlier post, they needed to take advantage of every chance they got to stay in this one. also, he didnt seem to want to leave his 18 at any point in the match and that will hurt them a lot against faster teams like potomac falls has been in the past. early in the game they also defended with only four or five in the back leaving their outside mids high. that could make a counter attack even more dangerous. jarrett seemed to be one of the few abingdon players who had the confidence to take anyone from blacksburg on, and he had some dangerous chances. on a different night you might be calling him a hero for getting his team back in the game instead of criticizing him for keeping the ball.

that being said, martinsville doesn't have the personnel to take advantage of these weaknesses, and i see them packing the back a lot more and just being happy with a trip to states. id say 3-0 bburg tonight.

i also watched the game. aside from giving away three stupid goals in the first 11 or 12 minutes, they played well against bburg's starters. giving away cheap early goals is a great way to get yourself out of a match in a hurry. i dont know whether to credit nerves or what, but there you have it.

blacksburg looked far from invincible in this game and should really tune some things up if they want to make a run at things. they played very, very directly. in the second half abingdon's keeper played a lot higher and they had very few good looking opportunities, both with and without starters in the match. defensively, releford made an astounding save or two, but he put the ball on the ground a lot and his hands didnt look too good. abingdon didnt capitalize on his big mistakes, and like i said in an earlier post, they needed to take advantage of every chance they got to stay in this one. also, he didnt seem to want to leave his 18 at any point in the match and that will hurt them a lot against faster teams like potomac falls has been in the past. early in the game they also defended with only four or five in the back leaving their outside mids high. that could make a counter attack even more dangerous. jarrett seemed to be one of the few abingdon players who had the confidence to take anyone from blacksburg on, and he had some dangerous chances. on a different night you might be calling him a hero for getting his team back in the game instead of criticizing him for keeping the ball.

that being said, martinsville doesn't have the personnel to take advantage of these weaknesses, and i see them packing the back a lot more and just being happy with a trip to states. id say 3-0 bburg tonight.

Keeper, you make some very good points. I actually had the opportunity to talk to a member of the Blacksburg coaching staff last night and he said they had a great scouting report and knew they could get behind Abingdon and that is why they played so direct in the first half. Obviously, they knew what they were doing. They hit Abingdon with scoring chance after scoring chance. He then told me the objective after halftime was to get the subs playing time and get out of there without any injuries since the game was over at that point. Abingdon had a very good team and should be proud of the season they had. With as many seniors as they had, will they be able to sustain it? What young players do they have coming up for next year?