7 on 7 at AHS

oldfalcon56

Whos coming to Abingdons 7 on 7 on tuesday July 14th. Suppose to be around 20 teams from Va and Tn

This was posted on another message board--

Abingdon

Holston

Galax

Richlands

Christiansburg

Radford

James River

Battle

Thomas Walker

Dobyn's-Bennett (2 teams)

Elizabethton

Cloudland

West Greene

Tennessee High

Volunteer

North Greene

Life has many choices---eternity two

Former Gate City Player, Coach to Replace Colobro

By Allen Godsey

TriCitiesSports.com

March 26, 2009

GATE CITY, Va. -- Bill Houseright, former Gate City football player and coach-who needs no introduction- was named by the Scott School Board Thursday night as the next Gate City High School, head football coach.

Houseright will replace present head coach Nick Colobro, who is retiring at the end of this school year.

Housewright is presently serving as assistant principal and athletic director at Twin Springs High School.

Bill is married to Jenny Bateman Houseright and they have four sons; Billy, Jake, Jeremy and Jonas.

Football has been a big part of the Houseright family. The senior Houseright played for Gate City in the early 1970's under the late legendary Harry Fry. Bill was a sophomore on the 1970 Gate City state championship team. Houseright was selected to the Parade All-America High School team in 1971-72 as a defensive end and after graduating from Gate City in 1973 went on to play football for Virginia Tech.

Houseright's four sons all played football for the Blue Devils. Three of the sons -- Billy, Jake, and Jonas -- followed in their dad's footsteps, playing football for the Virginia Tech Hokies. Jake was a member of the 1997 AA State Champion Football Team; Jonas, who is a senior this year at Tech, played on the Group A 2003 Blue Devil State Championship team; and Jeremy, who also played basketball for Gate City and King College, is an assistant football coach at Gate City and assistant basketball coach at Rye Cove.

"I'm very blessed to have this opportunity to come into an ultra successful program like this," said Houseright. "This program has really been good to myself and my family. I just feel very fortunate to have this opportunity. I hope it works out; I'll do my very best."

Houseright began his coaching career at Lebanon High School in 1978. He returned to Gate City as defensive co-ordinator in 1982 and served for several years. Houseright has also served as head football coach at Rye Cove High School.

D-B won the 7 on 7 in the championship game against Elizabethton. I think Richlands was 3rd and 4th. Good showing by the blues. Great day. Thanks to coach farris and Abingdon coaches. West Greene won the lineman challenge. Tug-0-War was a blast.