New rules???coming to SEC "media"

trublue

excerpt:

"This might fall under the heading of One Of Those Media Furors That Doesn’t Interest The General Public, but I’ve got a feeling it’ll interest you soon enough. According to Jason Morton of the Tuscaloosa News, the SEC has just distributed to its 12 member institutions a new media policy that, if indeed enacted, will seriously inhibit what the media can do."

"And then this (and you knew “this†was coming): “No bearer may disseminate in any form a ‘real-time’ description of the event. Periodic updates of scores, statistics or other descriptions of the event throughout the competition are acceptable. Bearer agrees that the determination of whether a blog is a real-time description or transmission shall be made by the SEC in its sole discretion.â€

link:http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2009/08/10/bradleys-media-buzz-sec-gets-grabby-vick-on-60-minutes/

Also, M. Vick to be interviewed by 60 Minutes segment included at end of article.

Doesn't surprise me.

Wait... yeah, it does, that it's taken this long.

Newspapers generally aren't available until a few hours after an event ends. Why should they post the story online at. say, 5:30 pm. ? Now they've pushed it to where it's real-time. They don't pay for the rights fror this. Radio & TV does.

I surprised others haven't done this. Some states already have rules against blogging at state HS c'ship events, unless they pay the same "live" fee that traditional broadcast media does. Just waiting for the VHSL to do this. Twink did wrestling for a few years b4 he moved up north. Newport News Daily Press blogged their locals this year without advance prep. Their guy PM'd me the day b4 to find out who to get up with when he got there.

Most pro sports already have this policy. They're trying to control their "product" and also trying to limit the number of people on the sidelines and in the press box. The original draft of the SEC policy actually barred freelance photographers and writers but they changed it when they realized that even the big dogs like Sports Illustrated use stringers.