Some perspective on college recruiting

BeaverHokie

Living in the Atlanta area, I am always amazed at how many kids here play college ball. One thing that seems to help is that the schools are HUGE, and have a lot of folks to draw from. Heck, the smallest high school in Gwinnett County is around 2,100 kids from 9-12 (Duluth). I think the largest is around 4,500-4,800 (Collins Hill?). It's such that most decent-size schools platoon, a guy either plays offense or defense, it's rare that they play both.

Case in point, I saw this article:

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2009/08/18/stephenson-linebacker-picks-miami-over-georgia-tech/

From that article:

Stephenson coach Ron Gartrell has said as many as 12 of his seniors could sign with Div. I programs, and at least a half-dozen with smaller colleges.

Stephenson, the DeKalb County powerhouse, is one of the state’s top producers of college football talent.

-----------

Jeebus, I don't know that there are 12 kids in the entire state of WV that get Division I scholarships.

Well, this is interesting...looks like there are some Virginia powerhouses, too. I was browsing the dailypress site, where Paulus (the former Duke point guard) will start at QB for Syracuse. Anyway, I saw this:

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/columnists/dp-spt_recruitcolumn_0816aug16,0,4184358.column

"On Feb. 4, former Phoebus coach Bill Dee had nine of his players sit at a table at the high school with pens and national letters of intent in front of them. Nine players."