Are there any college football players out there this year?

bighouse

Lance,

You called me out. I wasn't going to post anything about Duke looking at CCHS's #72, but here goes and no I don't have a link, but I have pics on Facebook: We had an "unofficial visit" (because he's junior he can't take an official visit until next year) to Duke for their game with Maryland. We are receiving several letters and postcards from them each week and they've contacted CCHS for his "official" transcript (we took a copy and some game tape during our visit) a couple of weeks ago "concerning a scholarship offer." We are also going to visit some other ACC schools in the near future, as I've been in touch with one and just found out tonight that another is interested. I am not comfortable naming them until it's official (otherwise it's just a name game). A small D-3 school in WV has also shown interest, but nothing in the way of an "offer."

Duke is projecting him as an OT. He's 6'6" 265 right now (well, maybe before supper tonight) and they are recruiting him on "potential, with a projection of growing to 6'7" 295ish." I don't think most folks on the board realize that schools look at potential at the next level more than production at the high school level and that qualifying grades are a MUST. Some of the negative comments about these young men mentioned in this thread are just foolish! Be happy for these guys who have busted their ass to get where they are and will hopefully have an opportunity to be on a team at the next level. Duke takes very few walk-ons (not many can afford it and we certainly can't) and dressed "only" 85 for the UMD game. Probably no more than 35-40 played. So, there are 45 or so who are part of the team getting the free ride and the experience without ever touching the field during a game. Root for these guys and stop playing some juvenile territorial crap about what school they went to and whether you think you like their school or coach or scheme!

I will be more than happy to share information with those of you who are really interested in the process, but I prefer to do it by way of PM's on this site rather than posting my drivel...

Edited by Huntercav

Very well said HunterCav...I hope the best for him in whatever his choice for the future is....

You brought up a very good point in your post that I would like to elaborate on....These kids have to excel in 3 areas to go to the next level....on the field, in the workout room, AND IN THE CLASSROOM....

It does a kid no good to be the best on the football field to just be told he cant go on because he never concentrated on his grades.....

That is why I applaud the work of a number of the athletes in this area that I know of...they have not only excelled on the field..but their dedication to their team development and to their own was unmatched...AND they are very good students as well as community leaders...

Instead of trashing the kids that are trying to make a life for themselves...we need to support them...no matter where they are coming from or going to...no matter if its a division 3 school or a division 1 school..they are still getting a college education which will pay more dividends in ones life than anything..