Can the Braves win the East?

the watcher

No...Braves care more about $$$ than winning these days...they will keep the team close enough to the top to fill the seats, but not do what it takes to win...they have shown me this during this off season more than any other...all they needed to do was bring in a power hitter to throw in the middle of the line up and it didn't happen...so they will be weak there, even if they bring in Heyward and he does well...people will just be pitching around him at the end of the year...he wont see anything to hit and they will figure if he walks then no big deal.

No...Braves care more about $$$ than winning these days...they will keep the team close enough to the top to fill the seats, but not do what it takes to win...they have shown me this during this off season more than any other...all they needed to do was bring in a power hitter to throw in the middle of the line up and it didn't happen...so they will be weak there, even if they bring in Heyward and he does well...people will just be pitching around him at the end of the year...he wont see anything to hit and they will figure if he walks then no big deal.

Sounds like a clueless baseball fan...

Braves don't care about money more than winning. Money and winning are synonymous. If the team wins, like the run in the 90's, fans are in the seats, and the team makes money. In recent years, even when the Braves have been "close enough to the top" nobody goes to the games. Thus they don't make money and can't sign the big name free agents.

"All they needed to do was bring in a power hitter..."

They did this. They brought in Troy Glaus. Or were you talking about Jason Bay, who signed for about 22 mill a year, or about 8 mill a year more than Chipper. Or maybe Matt Holliday, who signed a HUGE deal for 7 years and 120 million. Signing either one of those guys would seriously have jeopardized the future, with guys like Jurrjens and Hanson due a big raise in the near future. I don't know what other power hitters you could be talking about, but the real prized free agents could only be afforded by a handful of teams.

You have no idea what you are talking about if you say they don't care about winning. Please tell this to Bobby Cox before his last season. Frank Wren has done everything he can with the funds he has been given. The rotation is where the bulk of the funds went, and it is stout. If Heyward is the player everyone thinks he is, the lineup could be much better than anticipated. And believe me, if intentionally walking Heyward at the end of they year is warranted, the Atlanta Braves will have a very good year.

The Braves had a $96,000,000 payroll last year which was the 11th highest in baseball. Out of the 30 MLB teams Atlanta is considered the 12th largest market. The Phillies payroll was 6th at $113,000,000 and they play in the 7th largest market. The Yankees had the highest at $201,000,000 and they play in the largest market... See where I'm going with this?. The Braves went into the off-season with X amount of dollars to spend and they spent it. They never had enough for Bay, or Holliday, or anyone not named Troy Glaus or Johnny Damon to begin with.

I think they are getting a bargain with Glaus. Even if he doesn't pan out they aren't really out anything. And it was never a case of signing him or someone else. It was sign him or no one at all. Money was no object when they were owned by Ted Turner and TBS. Turner was willing to lose money in order for the team to win. But now they are owned by a corporation that isn't willing to lose money. They are a mid-market team and they will never be able to spend more than they make. They had a free ride with Turner but those days are over.

Having said all of that, the Braves are a solid 2nd place team in the NL East and if Glaus and the young guys pan out they will challenge the Phillies. They aren't nearly as bad as you think. This will be the best team they've put on the field in a while.