Blacksburg wins state title!

region4fan

I saw their semi-final game Friday against Broad Run. Blacksburg's center midfielder is one of the best guys I've ever seen play that position for them in the last several years. I think Blacksburg won three of four games against Hidden Valley for the season.

BLACKSBURG CAPTURES 11th STATE CROWN WITH 3-0 BLANKING OF HIDDEN VALLEY

RADFORD, Va. – Blacksburg won its second straight Group AA Boys Soccer State Championship and 11th overall with a 3-0 victory over River Ridge rival Hidden Valley Sunday morning at Radford University as part of the 2010 Spring Jubilee.

The Bruins have won 11 of the last 22 Group AA State Championships in 17 tries.

Eli Betz scored the eventual game winner in the 28th minute, while Jack Cooper added goals in the 32nd and 52nd minutes, respectively. Blacksburg finished with a 5-1 edge in shots, while four more corners.

Unfortunately for the Radford boys and girls team, both lose in the finals. Radford boys lost for the second year in a row to George Mason in the championship game.

I saw their semi-final game Friday against Broad Run. Blacksburg's center midfielder is one of the best guys I've ever seen play that position for them in the last several years. I think Blacksburg won three of four games against Hidden Valley for the season.

I am assuming you are talking about #11 Dehmeh Smith. He has been a great players for us the past 4 years. He won 3 state titles. He is going to Emory University in Atlanta in the fall.

The semifinal game was the best game by far. It was back and forth both ways. We hit the post 3 times in the first half and they had a goal disallowed because of a push. Broad Run had a kid who could throw it from midfield to inside te 6 yard box and then they were all 6-1, and 6-2. Scott McGuigan (playing at Emory and Henry in the fall) scored with about 10 minutes left off a long throw in to win.

The final was the 5th time we had played Hidden Valley. I thought we controlled the game where they only had 1 shot on goal i the game. We won 3-0. They beat us at our place 1-0 and we beat them 4-0, 4-0, 4-0, and then 3-0.

Good luck to everyone next year! What does everyone have coming back?

I am assuming you are talking about #11 Dehmeh Smith. He has been a great players for us the past 4 years. He won 3 state titles. He is going to Emory University in Atlanta in the fall.

The semifinal game was the best game by far. It was back and forth both ways. We hit the post 3 times in the first half and they had a goal disallowed because of a push. Broad Run had a kid who could throw it from midfield to inside te 6 yard box and then they were all 6-1, and 6-2. Scott McGuigan (playing at Emory and Henry in the fall) scored with about 10 minutes left off a long throw in to win.

The final was the 5th time we had played Hidden Valley. I thought we controlled the game where they only had 1 shot on goal i the game. We won 3-0. They beat us at our place 1-0 and we beat them 4-0, 4-0, 4-0, and then 3-0.

Good luck to everyone next year! What does everyone have coming back?

As a spectator, is was nice to see Smith's progression over the last couple of years. The semi-final was an entertaining game to watch. It was impressive to watch the Broad Run kid throw the ball into the goalie box from where he was at on the sidelines!

Does VT recruit any of the BHS players with the coaching change at VT?

As a spectator, is was nice to see Smith's progression over the last couple of years. The semi-final was an entertaining game to watch. It was impressive to watch the Broad Run kid throw the ball into the goalie box from where he was at on the sidelines!

Does VT recruit any of the BHS players with the coaching change at VT?

Dehmeh is one of the smoothest players I have ever seen at the HS level. His "little" brother Geinda will step into Dehmeh's place and we should miss a beat.

We currently have 3 players on VT's roster. 2 of them start. In total we will have 14 players playing college soccer int he fall.

VT - Albert Alwang, Alistair Moore, Jeremy Williams

Emory - Dehmeh Smith

Christopher Newport - Jack Cooper

Lynchburg - Michael Releford

Emory and Henry - Brandon Brodkin and Scott McGuigan

St John's (MN) - Chris Hagen

William and Mary - Tim and Matt Becker

Concordia (Canada) - Sam Cooper

2 more that escapes me at the moment