SWVASPORTS.COM

2010 Battle of the Boot

FBDevotee

The 17th "Battle of the Boot" was held tonight at Bullitt Park in Big Stone Gap. Powell Valley defeated Lee High in an exciting highschool football game. A fairly large crowd of fans - dressed both in Viking blue and General red - turned out to enjoy a beautiful August evening and support their teams.

Lee High received the opening kick-off and put together a nice 75 yard drive for their first touchdown of the season. The Generals tacked on a two point conversion to lead 8 - 0. The Lee County fans had something to cheer about!

Both teams had the ball for some time consuming drives - I think both teams converted on a fourth down attempt to extend drives - but neither team could put additional points on the scoreboard in the first half. The play of both team's offensive units was conservative but Lee High remained in control.

In the second half, momentum shifted on a punt attempt by Lee High. The ball was snapped over the kickers head and the Vikes recovered near the goal line. Jacob Huff, the Viking QB ran the ball in and then passed to WR Austin Garrett for a two point converstion. The score was tied 8 - 8 with about 8 minutes left in the third.

The Vikings would score on each of their possessions from that point on in the game. Rushing TDs were tallied by Dalton Tackett, David Bledsoe, and the Freshman Davis.

The game really had the feel of the Vikings trying to find out how to fit players into the running game that Coach Robbins has decided on for this year.

The final score was PV 28 - Lee 8.

Lee offensive woes weren't helped by Graham getting either. But I like the attitude they came out with and Palko's style. They did what I was afraid of and that was come out of the gate strong then have a couple of miscues, PV capitlized and then they lost that swagger. I think they continue improving and learning under Coach Palko and will end up doing well this year.