Hurley's John Layne signs with Bluefield College

hurley11

Layne decides to play football at Bluefield College

By JONATHAN GREENE

Bluefield Daily Telegraph The Bluefield Daily Telegraph Thu Jul 21, 2011, 04:57 AM EDT

BLUEFIELD, Va. — There’s a saying “better late than never.â€

Hurley’s John Layne executed that to perfection Wednesday when he signed to continue his football career at Bluefield College.

“It’s a great feeling to know I get to play football again,†Layne said. “I get four more years of football.â€

While Layne is thrilled to continue playing, Bluefield head coach Mike Gravier is pleased to snag a player of his quality right before camp begins in August.

“It’s obviously a coup for us to get somebody with his ability (and) athleticism to be part of our program this late in the game,†he added. “We’re finding that there are a lot of guys out there that are still looking and deciding. Some guys are deciding right now that maybe I do want to play football.

“They thought maybe they weren’t going to. Some guys get that taste playing in All-Star games and getting into this time of year they feel they should be doing that. We’re very fortunate and happy to get John at this late date.â€

Playing in the Southwest Virginia Touchdown Club’s Blue-Gray All-Star game last month at Mitchell Stadium may have been exactly what it took to get the 5-foot-10, 225 pound Layne to make Bluefield his home.

“It helped a lot,†Layne said. “That was one of the main reasons right there. I came out here and made a lot of friends. Quite a few of them are going to attend this college. I figured I’d want to be a part of it.â€

While at Hurley, Layne lined up on the offensive line and played linebacker. Gravier, though, does not have a position penciled in yet.

“John’s a football player,†Gravier said. “That’s the bottom line. He’s a guy who loves the game, loves to the play game and plays it right.

“You can always find a place for guys like that. Like everybody else we’ve recruited, we’re not sure what side of the ball he’ll be on. When we have football players, you can find a place for them on the football field.â€

In addition to playing on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball, Layne was called up by Hurley head coach Greg Tester to play special teams for the small school as well.

“We’re definitely going to miss his presence,†Tester said. “He’s been a leader on our squad. You can’t replace a player like him.

“He was the heart and soul for our defense. He started both ways and played special teams. I think Bluefield is going to be pleased with his signing.â€

Tester says during Layne’s four years he saw a boy become a man right in front of his eyes.

“We had him up when he was in ninth grade,†he added. “We knew what type of player he was going to be. I knew what type of player he was going to be on the JV program.

“When he was in the ninth grade, he was boy. But, now he’s a man. He’s hit the weight room hard. He’s got a great work ethic. I think Bluefield will be very pleased to have him out here.â€

His work ethic and play on the field is exactly what caught Gravier’s eye.

“Obviously, John’s been in the weight room,†he said. “That stands out right away. Seeing his film and seeing the way he stood out as a player on his film. He comes from a great family.

“When he came in on his visit, we had a great time sitting around talking and sharing with each other. You want those kind of people as part of your program.â€

Layne will join a select few of Hurley players to make the jump to collegiate football.

“It’s very rewarding to see a kid that you’ve worked with and has put in this time to sign and continue their education plus have a chance to play football,†Tester said. “I couldn’t be more excited for him. I think he’ll be able to contribute to Bluefield’s program.â€

The All-Group A honoree and two-time All-Region D selection will be within driving distance from home, which is something his family is happy about.

“Not only for my immediate family, but there are also friends and others that are pleased with it,†his mother Jacqueline Layne said. “Whereas it’s close, it’s a plus for us to be able to come see him back on the field again. That’s something he’s always wanted to do.â€

Jacqueline added “I’m very proud of him. He’s on the right path. With all his hard work and determination, I believe he’ll do just fine.â€

John Layne will suit up for the Rams this fall when Bluefield resurrects its football program after more than 60 years of lying dormant.

“It’s going to feel great,†Layne said with a smile. “I get to play football again.â€

— Contact Jonathan Greene

at jgreene@bdtonline.com