Anyone go to C-Burg for the Beavers

Blu_Man

I didn't go but this is from Virginia Preps.

"Bluefield has a nice rb. Runs hard, good speed. Bluefield D tackles well as a group. The majority of the Scrimmage was each offense having a set number of plays to run. Bluefield scored once. CBURG scored atleast 4 td. Then they ran a little over 1 quarter of play. That ended up 9 to 7. CBURG with td and safety. Bluefield score was set up by 50 to 60 yard run. CBURG Wr dropped two wide open td passes from motley."

Beaver has a lot of work to do. The positive is that I saw improvement from the first set of twenty plays, in which C'burg scored three touchdowns. During the next 20 they didn't score and they only scored once in the timed 12-minute quarter. Bluefield's defense became significantly more aggressive after the first 20 plays. The tackling must improve as they allowed too many yards after first contact. The pass defense in the secondary is very weak right now, but the pass rush is solid. Something to keep in mind, however, is that C'burg's QB is very athletic and has a heck of an arm; he's committed to VT. I doubt they'll face a more talented QB the entire season.

Offensively, Leggett is a beast; easily Bluefield's best offensive player. During the 60+ yard run he had to set up the TD he broke several tackles and demonstrated a nice spin move to free himself from a group of potential gang-tacklers. If he stays healthy he'll easily be a 1,000 yard back. CJ Manns did fine running the ball, showed more at the end of the scrimmage than the beginning. The freshman tailback, #38, reminded me a lot of Leggett. He isn't afraid to run someone over despite his youth. He and Leggett could potentially form one of the better back tandems Bluefield has had since Amaker and Tynes.

I didn't think Edwards looked as confident as he did last year in passing situations; he forced some throws. Although, he did take several hard hits and had his bell rung at least twice. He finished the scrimmage with his pads off and a bag of ice on the back of his neck. The OL did a respectable job, better than I felt they would at least. I'll be interested to see how they fare against Pulaski County next Friday night; I'll be there as well.

Edited by Bluefield_Rules

Beaver has a lot of work to do. The positive is that I saw improvement from the first set of twenty plays, in which C'burg scored three touchdowns. During the next 20 they didn't score and they only scored once in the timed 12-minute quarter. Bluefield's defense became significantly more aggressive after the first 20 plays. The tackling must improve as they allowed too many yards after first contact. The pass defense in the secondary is very weak right now, but the pass rush is solid. Something to keep in mind, however, is that C'burg's QB is very athletic and has a heck of an arm; he's committed to VT. I doubt they'll face a more talented QB the entire season.

Offensively, Leggett is a beast; easily Bluefield's best offensive player. During the 60+ yard run he had to set up the TD he broke several tackles and demonstrated a nice spin move to free himself from a group of potential gang-tacklers. If he stays healthy he'll easily be a 1,000 yard back. CJ Manns did fine running the ball, showed more at the end of the scrimmage than the beginning. The freshman tailback, #38, reminded me a lot of Leggett. He isn't afraid to run someone over despite his youth. He and Leggett could potentially form one of the better back tandems Bluefield has had since Amaker and Tynes.

I didn't think Edwards looked as confident as he did last year in passing situations; he forced some throws. Although, he did take several hard hits and had his bell rung at least twice. He finished the scrimmage with his pads off and a bag of ice on the back of his neck. The OL did a respectable job, better than I felt they would at least. I'll be interested to see how they fare against Pulaski County next Friday night; I'll be there as well.

Thanks Rules! Always good to hear your insight. Hopefully the Beavers will continue to improve this year. The pass defense concerns me however it is good to hear about the OL and pass rush. Those were other areas I was really concerned about. Hopefully they will get that pass defense together. Looking forward to Beaver/Graham game.

Sounds slightly more promising than expected. Passing D doesn't really concern me bc of the D Simon runs and the competition in WV AA. He wants to get after the QB and man up in the D back bc most schools in WV won't have an outstanding passing game or a line that can give a lot of time. Any team with a good line and QB will give them problems every year. With the QB and RBs being young, they have a lot to look forward too. The schedule this year is a beast, just hope they continue to get better.

12 DAYS!!!!