Saints Bounties

jpdub95

Thoughts on the bounties that the Saints put out on opposing players?

What kind of punishment do you think they deserve?

1. Suspend Gregg Williams for entire 2012-2013 season without pay + $500K fine.

2. Suspend Sean Payton for first 4 games of 2012-2013 season + $200K fine.

3. Disallow Saints' 4th-7th round draft picks for the 2012 NFL Draft.

Bounties have no place in professional athletics.

1. Suspend Gregg Williams for entire 2012-2013 season without pay + $500K fine.

2. Suspend Sean Payton for first 4 games of 2012-2013 season + $200K fine.

3. Disallow Saints' 4th-7th round draft picks for the 2012 NFL Draft.

Bounties have no place in professional athletics.

I'd fine and or suspend the players involved in the bounty programs as well....

I think the Saints should get a stricter penalty than the Patriots did with the whole "Spygate" scandal.

For one, they should suspend Greg Williams for the entire season, suspend Sean Payton for the entire season, suspend any players involved for the entire season, take away the Saints first 3 draft picks, and put a post-season ban on the Saints.

If the NFL really wants people to think they care about the safety of players, then I think that not only gets the point across to the media and to fans, but it also will get other teams to not do this anymore.

Edited by jpdub95
typo

I think the Saints should get a stricter penalty than the Patriots did with the whole "Spygate" scandal.

For one, they should suspend Greg Williams for the entire season, suspend Sean Payton for the entire season, suspend any players involved for the entire season, take away the Saints first 3 draft picks, and put a post-season ban on the Saints.

If the NFL really wants people to think they care about the safety of players, then I think that not only gets the point across to the media and to fans, but it also will get other teams to not do this anymore.

The owner should can Payton for this. Even though Payton was not directly involved in this, he knew about it, and did nothing to stop it, and that means he encourages it. Same with the GM. They both need to be rid of.

Instead of getting rid of bounties altogether in the NFL, I think they actually can use bounties in the NFL instead, except that the teams pay the players, or you could have the NFL pay the players themselves, for their performance in the game. Like for example, use a rookie. Start off at the min. base pay of $400,000 and use bounties to add extra $$ to their base pay. This can work. The benefits of bounties are obvious:

1. Player pay based on merit, not past performance.

2. No underpaid players and overpaid players.

3. Increased quality of play, with everyone playing for their paycheck on every snap

For veteran players, have your base salary at whatever is the min for vets, and add bounties to it as well. Say, let's use Peyton Manning for example, if he can perform at his 2010 level, 33 touchdowns at $200,000, that would be what, $6.5 mil? Not including the base pay. You can also include bounties such as GW drives, beating a hated rival, making the playoffs, win a playoff game, win AFC Champ. etc. This would be kind of a good system for the players and the teams.

Edited by BlueTornadoFan

Guys this isn't the first time bounties have been placed on opposing players. Philly during the Buddy Ryan era,Jerry Glanville during his stint at Atlanta/Houston but this is the first time it's ever been caught on paper and not just verbally.

I would imagine Williams will be suspended, Saints fined, maybe some of the Saints players fined/suspended but I think Sean Payton should be punished because it did happen under his watch.

You know it is a double edged sword because the defense is pay big contracts to hit and knock the crap out of opposing teams. I guess it's the thought of a extra "kicker" to inflict pain that rubs people the wrong way.

I LOVE hard-hitting football and I do think the NFL has watered down football but I don't approve of the bounties.

I LOVE hard-hitting football and I do think the NFL has watered down football but I don't approve of the bounties.

The NFL willl survive the "watered down football" just fine and maybe a few more former players will still have their wits and be able to walk twenty years after leaving the game....