Galax boys preview (from Galax Gazette)

Guest Woolybugger

Guest Woolybugger

By CRAIG WORRELL

Sports Editor

GALAX –– Preseason basketball previews are generally geared toward looking ahead to the coming season. But in Galax’s case, it would be well-nigh impossible, even a little disrespectful, not to take a quick glance into recent history.

After all, that’s where 10 of the 11 players on last year’s roster are –– in the past.

One of the more glorious eras in Galax basketball history ended with a Region C semifinal loss to George Wythe last year, an era that saw the Class of 2003 go 74-14 in four years, including 15-6 last season.

The class went 20-0 as freshman JVs, then won 39 of 40 games against Mountain Empire District competition over the next three seasons, claiming three MED season and tournament championships in that span.

“It was like losing my own children,†sixth-year coach Verl Brown said of the departure of last year’s seniors. “That’s how close we were. I miss them, but we’ve got to move on.â€ÂÂ

With but one returning player, the obvious question is: Now what?

Well, it’s not as if the senior class was the only group of Galax boys playing hoops the past few years.

Galax’s junior varsity moved up en masse to the varsity level after winning two championships in their two JV seasons. This year’s incoming class went 31-5 with one district loss in the past two seasons.

In fact, many of them would have been on the varsity already, had there been room.

“Tory Porter, Jack Guynn, Jamie Brown… If we hadn’t had so many seniors those guys would have been on the varsity last year,†Brown said.

Brown said he liked the term ‘reloading’ better than ‘rebuilding’ when looking at the coming season, but adds he and assistant coach Fuzzy Bartlett need to remember it is a new bunch.

“We don’t want to compare them, but we want to motivate them to have the same success those guys had,†Brown said. “Sometimes we push them too hard. Coach Bartlett and I need to be patient.â€ÂÂ

Junior point guard Clay Surratt is the only returning letterman, averaging 8.9 points and 3.5 assists as the Tide’s sixth man last year.

“He needs to be a leader,†Brown said. “He can’t get down on the new guys, but we need him to help them come along.â€ÂÂ

Surratt shot 80 percent from the foul line, 40 percent from the floor and 39 percent from 3-point range as a sophomore.

“He’s probably our main source, but we want him to realize he doesn’t have to do it all,†Brown said. “We need to be ready for some junk defenses, but he has some help. All of them have either played with him on JVs or in AAU ball, so they’ve played together before.â€ÂÂ

Brown lists shooting as one of the team’s strengths. Guynn, Robert McCulloch, Matt Burress and John Kane will help take some pressure off Surratt in that department.

Galax will still be a quick team and will keep the up-tempo style it has become known for, and will still try to force the action with its defense, utilizing as many as 10 players a night.

Good depth will come from Brad Brown, Pace Snow, Rudy Gomez, Martin Guzman and the team’s only senior, Josh Dalton.

“My philosophy is that you need a good first five, but you’re only as strong as your bench,†Brown said.

The Tide may not be as solid in the full-court press, but may rely more on half-court pressure to get the job done.

“But I don’t plan on laying back in a zone,†grinned Brown. “I can promise you that.â€ÂÂ

Without much overall size, Brown expects rebounding and challenging inside to be an opportunity for improvement. Porter is the Tide’s big man, despite standing just 6-foot-1.

“But he plays a lot bigger because he can jump so well,†said Brown.

McCulloch, Jamie Brown and Chris Sizemore will help Porter take care of the paint for Galax.

After having a dominant team for the past three years, the Mountain Empire District may have more balance than its seen since the old days, when it was a yearly nine-team slugfest. Narrows has a two-time player of the year and a deep bench, Grayson County will have a good inside-outside tandem, Bland County is coming off a Region C appearance and Fort Chiswell, led by versatile Lance Grubb, should be very athletic.

“We need to grow in maturity early,†said Brown. “And we have to win at home.â€ÂÂ

Asked to name a favorite, the coach flashed that famous Verl Brown sly grin and said: “If I have to pick a team, I’ll pick ourselves.â€ÂÂ

So the question is: Did that Galax era really end? Or has it just been passed down to the next generation?