VHSL response to Division 1 championship debacle

brian1269

Released today by the VHSL:

Charlottesville--In light of a controversial officiating call in the final minute of the Virginia High School League (VHSL) Division 1 State Football Championship Game between J. I. Burton and Riverheads High Schools, VHSL staff conducted a review of the events in question. School and game officials were contacted for input, and game tapes were reviewed by VHSL Assistant Director and State Football Rules Interpreter Tom Zimorski as well as several independent individuals with extensive officiating experience.

Following this thorough review, it is the opinion of VHSL staff -- as well as the officials association that was assigned the game and the official who made the call -- that the penalty for non-contact unsportsmanlike conduct for excessive celebration against J. I. Burton High School was incorrect in that the player's conduct did not rise to the level of an unsportsmanlike act for excessive celebration as defined in the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Football Rules Book.

While the outcome of any contest cannot be altered in cases involving the real or alleged failure of contest officials to interpret or apply game rules properly or to render correct decisions in matters of judgment, the VHSL acknowledges that sometimes errors do occur. The League staff, the officials association and the official himself deeply regret that an incorrect call was made in this particular case and, coming at such a crucial time in the contest, that it might have had a bearing on the outcome of the game.

"We apologize to all parties affected by this error," said VHSL Executive Director Ken Tilley. "This play situation will be a point of emphasis in football rules clinics next year, as will be the proper steps a crew should take in reviewing a coach's request for an explanation of a play call. Furthermore, the officials association is in the process of considering measures it will take in dealing with the crew in this game and plans to strengthen its local training relative to these situations.

"It's extremely important to learn from mistakes and take steps to avoid repeating them," Tilley added. "Our constant goal is to provide a quality officiating program that serves well our student athletes, and our efforts now and in the future will focus on that objective."

Basically the VHSL shouldve just said that Burton got screwed by biased officials. I cant believe the VHSL wouldnt even hand down suspensions or any type of reprimands......We should just cut the state off at Roanoke and form a new state. Then maybe the people of our area will be adequately represented and treated fairly.

[ QUOTE ]

Basically the VHSL shouldve just said that Burton got screwed by biased officials. I cant believe the VHSL wouldnt even hand down suspensions or any type of reprimands......We should just cut the state off at Roanoke and form a new state. Then maybe the people of our area will be adequately represented and treated fairly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't put it any better myself.

Agreed.....In fact, I am originally from Pike Co. Kentucky and there was a time when something like that was seriously attempted. The idea was to cut the county off near Fishtrap Lake, ask other unhappy counties in VA and WV to join in, and form a state made up of counties in the Appy. Mt. range who would treat each other with respect and keep the money from coal locally. They really had some politicians sweating.

[ QUOTE ]

Agreed.....In fact, I am originally from Pike Co. Kentucky and there was a time when something like that was seriously attempted. The idea was to cut the county off near Fishtrap Lake, ask other unhappy counties in VA and WV to join in, and form a state made up of counties in the Appy. Mt. range who would treat each other with respect and keep the money from coal locally. They really had some politicians sweating.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can imagine. I don't and have never understood why officials are not held accountable for their actions. I can't get on the air and say something against FCC regulations. If I did I would pay the price, I think the first step would be to change the way officials are disciplined. Then they would work a bit harder I think. The rules clinic is pointless when the officials have free reign over the game. Now before I get jumped on, I know and understand that most "most" officials are great and those officials should be awarded in some way. I know this entire post has turned into a rant, just hate to see a season end for "ANY TEAM" with a pointless and horrible call.

Nothing wrong with a good rant. I told the folks I work with that I wish they would pay the officials 10 times what they currently pay them. After each game, schools could submit tape of what they consider a really bad call (or no-call) for review. I am thinking of a challenge system. If the call/no-call is ruled incorrect, a sum of money is deducted from the pay of the offending official. As a good friend of mine always says....if you want to get somebody's attention, get in their back pocket. Wow....talk about a pipe dream....I need to get some sleep.