Southwest District

ghs

It may sound early, but baseball is rapidly approaching. What are some predictions on the SWD? I know Tazewell is always a favorite, but I know that Graham has some healthy athletes returning. What about any of the other schools?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Woolybugger

<font color="black"> Of course Richlands has Timmy Brown back, which makes them dangerous at least once every five days, depending on who else they have on the mound.

I don't expect anything out of Grundy. Last time I saw them play they had a left-handed second baseman, for crying out loud.

Graham (as you probably already know) is getting better, and could possibly crack the top three.

Carroll County has seven starters back, including six third-year starters. They beat Tazewell in the regular season last year, lost in 8 innings the next time and lost 2-0 in the SWD tourney finals. They lost to Virginia High 4-1 in the regionals despite outhitting them 10-9. They lost a pitcher when Matt Hall had shoulder surgery, but he will still be catching, and is throwing as well as he was last year.

They were 16-6 a year ago, with five losses by a total of six runs.

Should be a fun year in the SWD. Good luck to all teams. </font>