VA TECH WRESTLING

lowsingle

Mourlam resigned as head coach for Va Tech wrestling. This write-up was in the Roanoke Times about Kevin Dresser, who is currently Head Coach of 3 time AA VA State Champion Christiansburg. He was formerly coach at Grundy High.

Kevin Dresser already is at the top. Now he wants to move higher.

Dresser, who has coached Christiansburg to three consecutive VHSL GroupAA wrestling championships, said Thursday he has applied for the head-coaching position at Virginia Tech.

Dresser said he informed Christiansburg's booster club and the wrestling team of his decision to seek the Tech job Wednesday night. The position came open last month when Keith Mourlam resigned after eight seasons. Dresser said he has not yet been told whether he will be interviewed.

"What Virginia Tech has put together athletically in the last 10 years is pretty impressive," Dresser said. "It's an awesome environment up there right now."

Dresser has won 11 GroupAA championships as a coach, the first eight coming at Grundy from 1989-96. He was a volunteer coach at Tech for several seasons in the early 1990s under former coach Jerry Cheynet.

"Obviously, the biggest thing against me is I've never been a head coach in DivisionI wrestling," Dresser said. "But I know DivisionI wrestling and I know the state of Virginia. I think I'll get a lot of support from Grundy to Virginia Beach.

"I think my background keeps me in the hunt."

Dresser won the 1986 NCAA championship at 142 pounds as a senior at Iowa when he wrestled for legendary Dan Gable.

Virginia Tech will begin competing in the ACC this winter, and Dresser thinks the Hokies can make some inroads in wrestling.

"Average at best is the best way to describe it," Dresser said of the ACC's wrestling tradition. "It's not the Big Ten or the Big12, but if you get one or two schools that can get their programs rolling it can lift everybody else.

"I'm a competitive person. I'd like to think we could go in there and challenge right away."

Dresser said he would bring Christiansburg assistant coach Daryl Weber - also an NCAA champion at Iowa - with him to Tech if he gets the job.

Dresser said he was offered the Tech job in the mid-1990s by former Hokies athletic director Dave Braine and turned it down.

"Tech was just starting to rock and roll, and my life was different then," Dresser said. "I was dependent on my income. Now I've got my family here and some other business interests here. This is the only college job I would ever apply for.

"If it doesn't work out, I've still got the greatest high school job in the state of Virginia."

Christiansburg will be favored to win another GroupAA championship next year regardless of who is in charge.

"I've told people if I get the Tech job I will remain committed to finding the best person available here," Dresser said. "There are a lot of people responsible for our success here. I'm just one little piece in the puzzle."

• 3 months later...

• 3 months later...