Where are those Falcon fans??

falconfansrock

Where are the Falcon fans out there? I know there are some out there, because you have been voting on the board. Oh yeah, what is the score of the JSB game going to be this year? AHS 44 JSB 0. Yeah, I did say 44, 6 touch downs with a safety thrown in there. wink.gif

Hey, you have to admire JSB for playing the teams that they do. They could just very easily drop Abingdon, Virginia, and Honaker and go pick up teams they would have an easier time beating. Look at Patrick Henry, they're a better team than Battle and they play St. Paul and Fort Chiswell.

That is not that tough of a schedule. What is the deal with them anyway?? Poor coaching staff??? I really don't know, I am curious becuase they have turned thir baseball program around and it is doing fine. But the football program is terrible. When you go 2-28 for the past 3 years, there is obviously a problem somewhere. wink.gif

JSB tries to concentrate on baseball year round and it has paid off in baseball but the other sports have suffered because of it. With their enrollment, they should be more competative in football and I have to agree their schedule is pretty soft for a school that size. Honaker really needs to drop JSB from their schedule, they're not going to win enough games to help them in points. I know last year was a heart breaker for Honaker, but their going to have to beef up their schedule some, the kids that have worked very hard at Honaker plus the fans deserve a more exciting schedule than just the Lebanon game. Honakers' AD and head coach need to rethink their strategy and give their fans more bang for the buck, they might lose a few more games a year but it'd sure be better for the kids and fans to have exciting games to look forward to.

Everyone as been saying this at Honaker for years. Aside from the benefit game against Richlands, every visiting team we played at home last season didn't bring more than 20 fans! And this year, the only two teams that will bring a crowd is Haysi and Lebanon. I'd much rather see Honaker go 7-3, get better, and pick up points than see us go 9-1, not pick up points, and miss the playoffs by one lousy power point! We hafta play Twin Valley and Hurley of course because we're in the good ole crappy BDD, and I think we should go the route of Lebanon and not play Castlewood anymore. Has Lebanon even played Castlewood since the 2 schools were in the Hogo together? I can't really even remember the last time they played. With as good a team as we've had the past few years, we have no business playing the likes of Twin Springs, Rye Cove, JSB, and St. Paul. Honaker really should have pushed to get back in the Hogo a few years back when we wanted to return. Or better yet, never left in the first place! Aside from Haysi, our district teams do not help us out at all. If Twin Valley could have at least beaten Big Creek, WV or Pocahontas, Honaker woulda made the playoffs. We seriously don't need to play in a district where half the teams haven't even finished better than 5-5 in years.

You're pretty darn smart and everything you said is true. Honaker has worked hard and long to get to the point they are now with their program, but until they have the chance to showcase what they've got it'll be hard to earn a lot of respect beating up on Division I teams. Honaker has earned my respect, of course I only live 10 miles from there and know how far their program has came in the past 10 years and should be in a stronger district. Honaker, Lebanon, John Battle, Virginia High, Patrick Henry and Chilhowie would make a dandy district and should go into Region D instead of Region C to even out the Regions. The remaining 3 teams in the BDD plus Clintwood and Pound would keep the BDD intact and reduce the size of the LPD. Maybe the new district could use the old Clinch Valley district title, I'd say you're too young to remember that, but it was some darn good football. Wadda ya think?........ like it'd ever happen......lol.

I don't really remember the old CVD. I know it was darn big district, it had what? Like 11 schools? I would like to see Regions D and C redistricted so that things could be evened out. Geographically, the schools in Smyth and Washington County should really be in Region D, as well as Lebanon. Region D could really use some bigger schools to get some of these smaller schools playing in D2 down into D1. Rye Cove and Thomas Walker only have like 200 something kids in their school and they have to play in D2. Thats ridiculous! Any chance Rye Cove ever had of building a successful program has pretty much been destroyed. Its not fair to the guys over at the Cove to not have a snowballs chance in Hades in the playoffs simply because they are outnumbered. Something will have to be done eventually because we will lose Haysi, Ervinton, and Clintwood to consolidation, thats already a done deal. And its only a matter of time until Wise County consolidates. I wouldn't mind a little more travel to play better schools. Heck a bus ride from Honaker to Hurley is basically as long as a bus ride from Honaker to Wytheville. And any high school athlete will tell you, the bus rides are one of the best parts! I know I've had some interesting bus rides with the basketball team and the track team over the years! grin.gif

Thanks clod hopper, your first post in the first part is exactly what I was getting at. Their schedule is pretty, as you said, soft. The ol' tiger fan seems to think it is too rough for them I believe. (And I love it when the falcons beats up on battle so I can rub it on my cousin. smile.gif

Oh wait, never mind. I saw the part in clod hoppers post when he said he thought JSB's schedule was weak. I didn't see it the first time and didn't know what you were refering to. Dang, their out of district teams usually beat them like 50 something or 60 something to 0. Well except for that train wreck of a game played at Honaker last season. Hows the ole Abingdon team lookin this season. They had a good showing against Carroll County last season in the playoffs. Could we be seeing them contending for the region? Sorry for changing my posts so much. I am doing 1000 things at once and for some reason I haven't been puting everythin I wanted to say in my posts the first time.

Being as this was the only game I didn't attend, I cannot say for exact, but I know for definite that Hurley traveled 40+ fans to every road game they played. So I do doubt that Hurley had less than 20 fans, as you lumped them into (unless you were only speaking of poor travelling non-district opponents). As for not helping, Hurley won 4 ball games to TV's 0. While that may not be world-beaters, it was about as good as one could expect out of a team loaded with Freshmen.

Regardless, the program is on the rise and to go 4-6 out of the gates was great. 90% of the kids starting on this years team played on sqauds that played VERY well against both Honaker and Haysi's JV sqauds. Sadly, they did not get the benefit of competing against Juniors and Seniors for playing time before becoming starters, hence the lop-sided games against both sets of Tigers.

I hope they can be competitive this season. The major problem with last years team (the lines) should be remedied with the new line coach. With the kids they got to fill the skill positions, the offense should be able to put points on the board. Defensively, with better coaching on the d-line the rest of the defense should be able to cover there assignments instead of worrying about making tackles 15 yards downfield.

-Josh

Well, I really did'nt mean to down JSB, I just believe their priorities are all screwed up. I love baseball as well as anybody but I believe their kids get cheated out of the other sports. I know they have a lot of athletic talent and could turn out some really good football and basketball programs if they did'nt try to do baseball year round. Look at Honaker, Richlands, Abingdon, Lebanon, Haysi etc. they're all usually competative in every sport because they take it season to season and use all their athletic talent in every sport. Like I said, I'm not trying to down them....just understand them.