Shady-Westside sctrimmage results

shadyfan

Shady dominated on the defensive side of the ball holding westside scoreless throughout the entire scrimmage with several punishing hits josh mann leveled their starting rb and he left with a shoulder injury and didnt return. the changes on defense were great they constantly switched from a 5-2 to 4-3 to a 4-4 shady looks much improved from last year. on the offensive side shady scored 2 varisty tds one on about a 30yd pass and the other on about a 2oyd fumble return by josh mann shady showed alot of new looks on offense like 4 wide and 3 wide packages the timing was off quite a bit and several dropped passes the run game was ok line needs some work but still amassed several yards. But overall shadys offense is always pretty good so im not worried but if their defense shows the looks they did tonight and plays this aggressive shady will be very good. As for Westside very big but the skill players are gone and only had one serious scoring chance 1st and goal after a turnover by shady but the d held on downs and pushed them back about 10yds Turnovers i think were even 3 apiece. Westside in my opion not nearly as good as last year but still should have a winning season as for shady if the o line jells and the d stays this aggresive they are a serious playoff contender. But they will get a better measuring stick saturday as they srcimmage wahama which should be great in single A this year

your right the td was called back then shady scored on a sweep by travis surratt my mistake i think you can beat liberty i also think you will have a winning season but as good as last year nope and thats just my opion i hope you have a great season what was your impression of shady?

I dropped by and watched this scrimmage.

Shady was very solid on defense. Westside hardly moved the ball against them. Some really hard hits too. On offense, they didn't have a whole lot of trouble moving the ball. They didn't have very many big runs but it seemed like they were always churning out 6,7,8 yards and some 10 to 15 yard runs on almost every play. Very similiar running game to Shady teams I have seen in the past. They should have scored at least once more (if not for the bad pass that was picked off close to the end zone that Westside returned to Shady's 10 yard line) and possibly twice (seems like they were on about the 25 or 30 yard line and fumbled. The Mann kid is a good football player. He is tough as a linebacker, fullback, and he is a fairly good kicker too. The only real bad thing seemed to be the turnovers and I'm sure the offense was not as smooth as they want it yet.

As for Westside, they had serious problems moving the ball on offense. They couldn't score after returning the ball to the Shady 10 yard line on that picked off pass. They lost about five yards in four plays from there in fact. Besides that, they never even came close to scoring. In fact, I don't recall them moving the ball past the Shady 30 or 40 yard line the rest of the scrimmage. I guess a positive they could take away from the scrimmage is that they didn't give up very many real big runs. They also seem to have some fairly good size. They just seemed to have lost a lot in the 15 seniors or so (very talented three and four year athletes like Waldron, Asbury, Cook, and Maynard) that graduated last year. I may be wrong but the best case scenario I see for them is grabbing a low playoff seed. I think making the playoffs again this season would be a nice goal.

Shady has the potential to have a good year and get back in the playoffs somewhere. A couple of close wins or losses will likely make the difference between them getting a home playoff game in the first round or just sneaking in.

• 2 weeks later...