Heath Miller is coming out

Guest old_school

[ QUOTE ]

Your arrogance must have caused you to miss some of the people I listed over in the VT/Auburn thread. To recap: Albert Childress from Grundy, Timmy Brown from Richlands, Aaron and Garon Marcum from Grundy. I'll even add a couple more: Brad Robbins from Powell Valley, and to even go back a little way in Grundy football history, Cary Perkins could have been D-1 material. I'm not going to sit down and go to all the trouble of making a list from the past 50 years just to prove my point to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

As great as he was at Richlands Timmy Brown was about 5'10" and ran a 4.6 fourty. I'm sorry, that's just not what D-1 schools look for...at VT or anyplace else.

I know you're high on the kids in this area and want them to do well...and so do I...but I watch a lot of college football (in person, not just on TV) and with the exception of Bradshaw (who's slow by major college standards) I haven't seen too many in this area with the total package Bluefield Rules mentioned. However I do agree that many local kids could walk on at a place like VT and work their way into the two-deep. That happens all the time. As I've said before, Browning Wynn is an excellent example of that. And, also as I've said before, if you look at the per capita ratio of D-1 prospects in Tidewater it won't me much different from SWVA. They just have more people.

[ QUOTE ]

As great as he was at Richlands Timmy Brown was about 5'10" and ran a 4.6 fourty. I'm sorry, that's just not what D-1 schools look for...at VT or anyplace else.

I know you're high on the kids in this area and want them to do well...and so do I...but I watch a lot of college football (in person, not just on TV) and with the exception of Bradshaw (who's slow by major college standards) I haven't seen too many in this area with the total package Bluefield Rules mentioned. However I do agree that many local kids could walk on at a place like VT and work their way into the two-deep. That happens all the time. As I've said before, Browning Wynn is an excellent example of that. And, also as I've said before, if you look at the per capita ratio of D-1 prospects in Tidewater it won't me much different from SWVA. They just have more people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the sad reality is that some of the players that could be D-1 material around here aren't aware of the ways they can enhance their skills at Nike Camps, other types of training, etc. They might not be able to attend these events due to financial constraints as well. Timmy Brown could have shaved at least .2 off that 40 time, if he was provided the right training, and that would have made a tremendous difference as far as recruiting goes I think. As far as Brown's height goes, the mighty Vic Hall is around 5'10" as well.

The kids who are willing to work extra hard, and attend camps, send tapes ect., like the Marcum's do will improve their chances of getting attention from D-1 schools.

There will be players here who get plenty of attention but they are few and far between. Not because of a lack of talent...but a lack of numbers in the talent pool. You mentioned the Sugar Bowl roster...I honestly don't know of a player on that 2-deep (and I am familiar with most of them) who could be replaced by a local player from the last 5 years (who isn't already on that roster or the roster of another D-1 school).

From the info i get about Vic Hall, is that he works out everyday and that is what it takes to play at the next level,just ask Heath Miller -Mike Compton- The Jones Boys.I know how hard Mike Compton works,i've seen him with my own eyes,(working out)

Alot of the recruiting process begins with the high school coaching staff. If you look at the Tidewater regions, you can believe that its coaches "pimp" there athletes. These coaches have relationships with Division I programs, many of which turn into pipelines (if you follow recruiting at all, you will have read how certain high schools basically send its best players to just one school every year).

IMO, it is the coaches job to make these kids aware of Nike camps and such. If a kid is financially strapped, the coaches should be the ones who find a way to get the kids to these camps. Coaches should be attending these camps with there players as well, to make relationships with Division I coaches in attendance.

Land Rider, When Kevin Jones was at tech he would come home from team workouts...and workout again with his father. He has done that since he was a child. The success he's having in the NFL right now isn't from talent alone. It's from his willing ness to work hard, and his willingness to make sacrifices.

djr4hurleyfb, I agree with everything you said. And I've seen Mike Compton. I can tell just by looking at him that he didn't get that way by sitting on the couch.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Your arrogance must have caused you to miss some of the people I listed over in the VT/Auburn thread. To recap: Albert Childress from Grundy, Timmy Brown from Richlands, Aaron and Garon Marcum from Grundy. I'll even add a couple more: Brad Robbins from Powell Valley, and to even go back a little way in Grundy football history, Cary Perkins could have been D-1 material. I'm not going to sit down and go to all the trouble of making a list from the past 50 years just to prove my point to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bradshaw sure didnt look slow compared to Ohio State.

[ QUOTE ]

Bradshaw sure didnt look slow compared to Ohio State.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's plenty fast, I think his recruiting bio said he ran a 4.5 fourty, but as D-1 backs go, he's not one of the faster ones.

You are right about the coaches in the t/w area,They front these students in every sport.Here in the S/W va.some coaches are bad mouthed so bad by some parents and students they just don't care want happens,and who gets hurt? the kids.Wakeup moms and dads.I know some coaches take there own money to send kids to camp during the summer.Thanks djr4hurleyfb for your thoughts,they are interesting.

Not very many running backs run faster than a 4.5. Bradshaw's thing is that he has exceptional balance and acceleration. I also think that there was only one person at the Nike camps who ran a sub 4.4 forty and he is the no. 1 prospect. Straight on speed isn't everything.

[ QUOTE ]

Not very many running backs run faster than a 4.5. Bradshaw's thing is that he has exceptional balance and acceleration. I also think that there was only one person at the Nike camps who ran a sub 4.4 forty and he is the no. 1 prospect. Straight on speed isn't everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with everything you said execpt "Not very many running backs run faster than a 4.5." Many running backs run below a 4.5. Out of 9 running backs VT has signed (two will sign in Feb.) 7 of them had a sub 4.5 fourty. 3 of those 7 were below 4.4. The two who had a 4.5 are Justin Hamilton who spent two years at WR before playing running back this year (moving to FS next year), and Elan Lewis who they have a verbal from.

Its not really the speed that makes the player,yeah sure a 4.4 and below 40 are great to have. But in my opinion its their heart and work ethic. Hey BigD did you see where Kevin Mcgothlin is on the roster,I wonder what happend to matt Thomas?

I agree speed isn't everything but the top talent in D-1 has it all...including speed.

I did see Kevin on the roster. I'm sure Matt's still there...just not on the roster. There are over a hundred players on the team but not all of them are listed. We'll probably see him in the spring though.

Not all times are correct though. Kevin Jones was the no. 2 running back in the draft and his confirmed 40 time was only 4.53. A 4.5 is a whole lot faster than people think. Like i said before, you can have all the sprinting speed in the world, but you won't amount to much as a D-1 back unless you also have good lateral movement or great strength. I'm not saying that noone can run a sub 4.4 forty but it's a lot more rare than people think and that's why the one's who can do it are the highest prospects. You also have to have size because that is one thing that is uncoachable.

I think that is one big indiscretion about many kids around here and why we don't see many of them get recruited.

The top QBs/WRs/RBs around here are typically 5-8" to 5-11", and anywhere from 140 to 170 pounds with decent speed (anywhere from 4.5ish to 4.7). The kids who typically get scholarships are 5-11" to 6-5", weight anywhere from 170 to 210. Look at college QBs. With there size, they'd be linemen in this area (isn't Matt Leinart something like 6'5" and 225 lbs? We brag about linemen that size in SWVA).

That's what I mean. Size is the main thing recruiters look at. Speed can be improved upon but you can't make anyone taller. Some athletes around here are fast enough but they do not have the size needed to play D1. They will pass everytime on a player who runs a 4.6 and is 5-10, 5-11. They want the kid who runs a 4.6 but is 6-4.

D-1 schools look for more than size. Mike Imoh came in at 5'7" 175 with a 4.4 fourty. And I know KJ had a 4.53 at the NFL combine but they use a different timing method. He was 6'1" 205 with a 4.23 fourty out of high school and was the #1 rated recruit in the country. I'm not sure what VT timed him at when he got to campus but I've seen him run...the man's not slow.

I agree that they look at other things than size, but an athlete has to be pretty special to get a look when there only 5'7" and 175. Then again, a lot of running backs in this area are UNDER 175 (and a lot of them are OVER 5'7").

[ QUOTE ]

I agree that they look at other things than size, but an athlete has to be pretty special to get a look when there only 5'7" and 175. Then again, a lot of running backs in this area are UNDER 175 (and a lot of them are OVER 5'7").

[/ QUOTE ]

But that's the whole point. In D-1A they're all special.