Bluefield 60, Princeton 48

Bluefield_Rules

Bluefield moves to 11-3 on the season with it's ninth straight win over Princeton. Princeton trailed by only one point at halftime after controlling the boards in the first half. However, in the second half Bluefield did a better job of battling on the glass and was able to pull out to a comfortable cushion for most of the 3rd and 4th quarters.

Bluefield's JV remained undefeated at 9-0 with a 15-point win tonight.

In the first half Princeton simply out-hustled Bluefield, especially on the glass. In the second half Bluefield did a lot better job in battling on the glass, especially Cosby and Rusty. Rusty was all over the floor tonight as usually hustling. He might not be the best player, but he hustles his behind off and does a lot of dirty work inside...

this was a good win for the beavers tonight. they hung tough and kept their wits about them. matthews played a great game under the basket and rusty was awesome!! all of the big men played a great game cosby really stepped up and left it all on the court. the d from the big men was great ball control and lack of turn overs help keep the lead in the second half.

but once again we saw how classless the students from princeton really can act. its a shame that a national school of honor has students who act like fools. it not only makes the school look bad but the entire community. it makes me feel ashamed to tell people i graduated from Princeton High. but i guess thats how people act when their best athlete leaves and succeeds and jealousy sets in.

Payne played the entire fourth quarter and hit a three-pointer. I've noticed in the games I've watched that Payne doesn't play a lot until the second half and then he plays almost the entire fourth quarter. Honestly, I think Moore and Repass could really benefit from having a true PG in the lineup with them most of the time.

http://www.bdtonline.com/articles/2005/02/02/sports/01wedblfd.txt

Beavers rally past Tigers

Posted: Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 - 12:26:21 am EST

By BOB REDD

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

PRINCETON - The Bluefield Beavers pulled away from the Princeton Tigers in the fourth period and claimed a 60-48 win over their Mercer County rivals Tuesday night in Princeton.

A nip-and-tuck game for three periods, Bluefield held Princeton without a field goal in the fourth period to security the victory.

"It took us a little while to get it together," said BHS head coach Ernie Gilliard. "Our kids start slow. The one thing I can say about them is they never quit. I think one of the greatest assets we have here is that on any given night any kid can come off the bench and spark us and any kid can catch fire and give us a lift."

Princeton jumped ahead early and Andrew Whittaker's jumper gave the Tigers a 15-7 lead with just over two minutes to play in the opening period.

Bluefield responded quickly as Johnathon Repass and Dexter Moore dropped two free throws apiece and Rusty Coeburn scored a bucket in the paint to draw the Beavers to within two, 15-13.

The Tigers led 17-13 at the end of the first quarter.

The Princeton lead grew to eight, 21-13, when Alvin Gardner stole the ball and drove for a layup. Again the Beavers charged back and Tarius Palmero's steal and bucket cut the Tiger lead to two, 23-31, midway through the second frame. Bluefield took the lead on to free throws by Tremayne Matthews, 25-24.

Princeton jumped back ahead, taking the advantage with a minute to go on a trey by Justin Jewell, but the Beavers bounced back to lead 32-31 at halftime.

The Tigers gained the advantage at the opening of the third on a bucket by Michael Winfrey only to see Bluefield get threes from Moore and Jonathan Payne and baskets by Jordan Manns and Matthews to open an eight point lead, 43-35.

Winfrey's free throw with 15 seconds remaining in the third closed the Bluefield lead to four, 49-45 and that is where it stood headed into the final eight minutes.

The Bluefield defense took control in the final stanza. Princeton managed only three points, all on free throws by Alvin Gardner and the Beavers moved to a double-digit lead and the 60-48 win.

"That's our trademark," Gilliard said. "Defense is our game. That has been our trademark for years, prior to my coming to Bluefield and we don't want to change what works."

Moore led Bluefield with 14 points while Matthews and Palmero chimed in with 11 each. Matthews cleared the glass for 10 rebounds.

Repass had four steals and Payne and Palmero had three swipes apiece.

Godwin paced the Tigers' attack with 11 points and had a game-high 12 rebounds. Winfrey pulled down 10 boards and scored seven points.

"We weren't getting it down the floor, we had the wrong people taking shots. You can't get in that situation," said Princeton head coach Robert Wray. "We got impatient, too, taking shots too quick. We've just got to be patient when we get in a close game."

Princeton plays next on Saturday at George Washington, while Bluefield hosts Summers County on Thursday.

At Princeton Senior High School

Bluefield (11-3).....................13 19 17 11 - 60

Princeton (3-10)....................17 14 14 3 - 48

BHS - Dexter Moore 14, Johnathan Repass 7, Jordan Manns 4, Tremayne Matthews 11, Rusty Coeburn 4, Jonathan Payne 3, Bradley Cosby 6, Tarius Palmero 11.

PHS - William Gardner 3, Jordan Godwin 11, Alvin Gardner 8, Andrew Whittaker 8, Michael Winfrey 7, Casey Lineberry 3, Justin Jewell 8.

I know one thing, Johnathan Repass is a class act through and through. He took a lot of abuse from the Princeton's classless students, but ignored all of it. If I were him I would have shown the student section the name on my jersey and pointed to the scoreboard late in the game. However, Repass is a very mature young man and I have a lot of respect for him b/c most high school kids wouldn't have handled the situation with that much maturity. I'm certainly glad we have such a great young man representing Bluefield.

On another note, you'd think someone from Princeton High School would stop their students from chanting profanity, but they don't. You'd also think they'd stop chants like "These refs suck," but they don't. I'm sure the parents of those kids are really proud of their class and behavior. smirk.gif

I agree. Princeton should have more respect than what they show. I'm curious to see how they act on the 25th when they come here. I recall last year at an away game one of their chants was "Get a Gym" where the home team replied "get a team" which i thought was a funny comeback.

nah if my boy johnathon did that he would lower himself to the level we saw last night. my favotire come back last night was when the bluefield students chanted "this is our house". that was awesome but the next game they need to chant "dont be sad dont be blue we beat you in football too".

I hope the Bluefield students do pack BSC and make a lot of noise. However, PLEASE do not behave like the Princeton students last night. It was a pathetic display and made them look horrible. Have fun and be loud, but don't chant profanity or anything about the officials.

I would suggest bringing signs to remind them of our eight state football titles to their none. Or about having beaten them nine straight times on the hardwood. Be creative, not classless.