Who needs a soccer field?

BarraBrava99

who needs a soccer field? the east river soccer complex in bluefield shouldn't be a rare thing in SWD. soccer has been around long enough and has enough people playing now that this shouldn't be a problem anymore.

what do you wish you could change about your soccer pitch, or would you just have a new one?

does richlands' soccer field have football uprights? i can't remember. it sounds like whoever told you not to play rugby was just scared of your strange oval ball. how could you hurt the lines?! although it is refreshing to hear someone concerned about preserving a soccer field for once! haha! i'd kill for a field that's not in a flood plane, have a swamp/lake at one end or a mountainous hill on the other, nice flat surface with green grass, round goal posts w/ the net actually attached... it's fun to dream.

Yes, the Richlands field has uprights. It's not a too bad playing there. It's just, we have to drive or get a ride up there every day for practice. It's a waste of gas and time. As for the field itself, it isn't bad. No one else uses it but it's so friggin' huge. We do so much running on that field just 'cause of the size of it. But I guess that's good for ya in the long run.

Soccer team isnt the only one wastin gas up there baseball does too and it sux but like u said the field is great so i guess thats why. The soccer field tho is a nice field and yea its big.

I love rugby,

I guess the only way you can classify it, would to call it hard-core football..Thats pretty much what it is. I mean those guys dont have helmets,pads,cups or anything. Just go out there and knock the crap out of each other ...

We used to have a rugby club around here then its like everyone lost intrest in it. I'm thinking about going down and playing some with Johnson City,Blacksburg is pretty close to ya'll on your end. I would like to get a club started again,but you got to have money to play the Union dues,pay your club dues and to have you CIPP card from USA Rugby. Plus you would have to have a pretty good base of people to play,have to order jerseys and short,along with the balls and such to even get started.

Anyway, back to East River. Each year the NCAA holds the "Mountain State Invitational". Duke, UNC, UVA, VT, Notre Dame, Michigan, etc come, along with VA teams like the Roanoke Stars and other challenge teams. It's alot of fun to watch, and see what your team needs to do. I heard the story behind Graham's falling out at East River, and yes, they used it last year for the tourney, but they also dominated on that field. 3 goals in the first 5 mins of play against CC, and during reg play at Graham CC put up a fight. It seems that when Graham gets a big space to play in, the can really do some damage, but it all goes back to the numerous JV players that have to move up and whether they can carry on the honor of playing for Graham, and hold onto the dynasty.

East River is a glorious field, rated one of the best on the east coast.