Any body see......

The red-sox yankees game tonight? The redsox were up by 1 in the 8th inning. And a redsox player hit it over sheffield and it rolled around the warning track and as sheffield went to get the ball a fan tried to grab the ball. But hit Sheffield in the eye by accident. And then sheffield took a swing it looked like at the fan.

Pretty crazy stuff...Now the sox lead by 3

My take:

First the fan was ejected, not arrested and no charges filed against him last I heard.

Second, looked to me like the guy was going to try to take a swipe at the ball and Sheffield ran in to the guys arm, which did hit him without a doubt...on the Tivo in the alt camera angle you can see Sheff's head turn direction as he is fielding the ball. I don't think the guy even saw Sheff coming and was looking directly at the ball.

Sheff was looking at the ball the whole time...didn't see the guy but felt him punch him in the face...which he reacted to...luckily things didn't get very bad.

I don't think the fan should be charged and I don't think Sheff should be punished...this is just one of those things that is bound to happen when you stack fans right on the field...price you pay...if baseball doesn't want this kinda stuff to *ever* happen...then set up a buffer between the fans and the players.