mhs bulldog invited to walk on at tech

mhsalum

Reid invited to walk on at Virginia Tech

From Bulletin Staff Reports

With just one year of football under his belt, Martinsville's Mike Reid is about to get the football lesson of a lifetime. The Bulldog senior agreed on Monday to attend Virginia Tech as an invited walk-on.

Reid played only three games this season for head coach Taylor Edwards' squad before a knee injury knocked him out of play. At the time of his injury, Reid was the team's leading receiver with five catches for 77 yards.

"Everyone's looking for a big wide receiver," Edwards said, "and he's aggressive. This whole thing is you're taking a kid with one year's experience and throwing him into one of the nation's top programs."

That fact doesn't bother Reid at all, who -- even with his size -- runs a 4.7 40.

"I'm not so much worried as I am ready for the challenge," Reid said. "I know it'll be different than high school, but I'm ready for the opportunity. The opportunity is a blessing. I'm going to have a good chance to play D-I footballl and play sports on a collegiate level."

Reid is 6-foot-4, and when Virginia Tech running back coach and assistant head coach Billy Hite met with him, he was excited to invite the Bulldog, according to Edwards.

"They were excited about his size," Edwards said. "You never know how much taller he'll get. I'm sure if Mike sticks with the program, he'll make a positive contribution. He's really aggressive."

Edwards said he had been trying to get Reid out for Martinsville's football team for the past couple of years.

"He'd have a ton of experience if he'd come out sooner," he said. "He averaged 25.6 yards per catch.

Reid's injury came in a game against Heritage, and now the senior says his knee problems are gone and forgotten.

"It doesn't effect me at all anymore," Reid said. "I don't even think about it."

Reid's journey to Virginia Tech began one day when Edwards asked him where he was thinking about going to college.

"He mentioned going to Virginia Tech to walk-on, and I was excited about it," Reid said. "He called the coach and got my name out there. I know it will be different than high school, but I'm ready for the opportunity.

"I need to hit the weight room, get bigger and gain some weight. I'm going in as a wide receiver. My height will help me, and I know I can catch the ball. In college, guys are a lot bigger. I need to be able to take a hit and keep going. But all that comes with the territory."

That's a great story! Will be interesting to see how he progresses. VT is a great place to walk-on because they give you the same opportunities as scholarship players.

WR Andre Davis, although he wasn't a walk-on, only played one year in high school.