Weir one game away from repeat!!!

It was a crazy game. These guys have had some great comebacks the past two years. This might have been one of the best, though. Down 4-3 in the top of the 7th, pinch hitter Eric Hayden hit a single. Brandon Sperlazza then got a double and advanced pinch runner Steven Buffo to third. Jason Gatto was asked if he wanted to try to bunt and try to score the runner on a squeeze play or hit away. He's a competitor and chose to hit away and hit a single up the middle scoring both runners. Weir goes back to the state championship to defend their AA title!!! Congrats fellas and bring back ANOTHER state title back to the 'Ton!!!

Shadyfan, you show a lot of class. I know I couldn't come on after Weir suffered a tough loss(i.e. Bluefield in football or Logan in bball) and say they were the better team. I really respect you and the game could have gone either way. Shady had a very good team and a great season. Hopefully we can win tomorrow so Shady can say the only team they lost to two years in a row was the state champions. You have a good program down there and I'm hoping to see the Tigers back in Charleston next year!!!

GameNotes:

Hard throwing Lou Green gets the starting nod for Logan, while the defending AA champion Red Riders start with Joe Quattrochi on the hill for Weir.

In the top of the first, Green walks one and strikes out a pair.

Weir got to Green in the top of the 2nd. Tom Martin walked, Brian McNabb singled. Then Mike Buffo reached on a bunt single. Martin scored on a wild pitch with two out. Logan loaded the bases in the last of the second with two outs, but could not push a run home.

Top of the third, Green walks one, strikes out two more to run his total to seven K's in the game. Last of the third, Logan's Bo Darby singles to right with two out..DarCatby scampers to second on a wild pitch. Adam Wooten reaches on an infield single setting up runners at the corners. Logan executes the double steal and scores Darby when the catcher's throw sails high to second.

Top of the 4th, Weir goes back on top. Brain McNabb's single to right opens the frame. A walk, followed by a sacrifice bunt puts McNabb at thrid with one out...McNabb then comes home on the second passed ball of the contest. Jason Gatto's two out bunt single puts Red Riders at the conrers. Gatto then steals second without a throw. Green's 9th strikeout ends the rally. Logan's Chad Bumgarner reaches base with a lead off bunt single. Cody Robinette's bunt up the first base line is dropped by Quattrochi, putting two on with no outs. Craig Marcum bunts up the third base line, Quattrochi's throw to third is wide of the bag, scoring Bumgarner and putting runners at 2nd and 3rd. Kevin Flemming's pinch hit double to right scores two more and it's a 4-2 Logan lead. Weir coach Bob Rosnick calls on Joel Marino to pitch in relief with Quattrochi moving over to play first. Joey Carter re-enters to run at second, and steals third. Taylor Krause walks to put runners at the corners. Logan again executes the double steal scoring Carter. Jordan Moore's single to left scores Krause to make it 6-2. Bo Darby then hits a solid single to center. Adam Wooten's bunt down third loads the bases. Moore scores on a wild pitch. Another wild pitch scores Darby to make it 8-2

Lou Green doubles to right. Bumgarner, hitting for the second time in the inning, reaches again on a bunt. Cody Robinette's single to right scores the 10th Logan run. Marcum's strikeout is the first out of the inning. Joey Carter's infield single scores Bumgarner to make the score 11-2

Weir picks up a pair of runs in the top of the 5th Joel Marino triples to right and scores on Quattrochi's bloop single Tom Martin follows with a single and scores on Eric Hayden's infield hit. Green records his 11th strikeout of the game to end the inning.

In the top of the 6th, Green records his 12th and 13th strikeouts. Brian McNabb comes on to pitch for Weir in the last of the 6th Last of the 6th, pinch hitter Pat Robinette hammers a fastball over the leftfield wall to make it a 12-4 game.

I didn't buy into the hype, but Lou Green is as good as advertised. He can sure bring the heat. Congrats to Logan and I'm not taking anything away from them, bu the score didn't reflect the game. Weir left Quatrocchi in for too long and Logan got to him on one big inning. The other 6 inning Logan only scored two runs. Weir also had some costly erros. Oh, well congrats to Weir and Logan both on great seasons!!!

[ QUOTE ]

Weir left Quatrocchi in for too long and Logan got to him on one big inning. The other 6 inning Logan only scored two runs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no, sounds like another coaching fubar to me....apparently Weir never gets beat just outcoached at times. Does this sound like a broken record to anyone else?