Coeburn ready to move on...

Bluefield_Rules

http://www.bdtonline.com/articles/2005/06/15/sports/02wedcoeburn.txt

Coeburn looking for fun in all-star classic

Posted: Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 - 11:47:45 pm EDT

By DUSTY HARMAN

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

CHARLESTON - It's been a good ride under center for Rusty Coeburn.

But the former Bluefield Beaver quarterback hopes to make his mark in Saturday's North-South All-Star Classic on the other side of the ball.

"I'm not sure if (South coach Tommy Harmon) is going to put me at quarterback or linebacker," said Coeburn, a recent graduate of BHS.

"Hopefully it will just be at linebacker and he'll let the other quarterbacks get some playing time. I've had a fun ride as a quarterback but it might be time for me to move on."

Coeburn's selection to the all-star game comes on the heels of a senior season that included more than 2,000 yards passing and 18 touchdowns - not to mention Most Valuable Player honors in a state championship win.

But Coeburn was just as talented on the defensive side, and he hopes to show off his skills against some of the state's best players.

"It's just something you look forward to since you were a kid," Coeburn said. "Just playing an all-star game in front of your peers, in front of the whole state and against other people in the state.

"It's a chance to see how you do against other people, and a chance to see what kind of talent you have."

Coeburn, who has signed to play football for West Virginia Wesleyan in the fall, said he is proud to partner with Beaver teammate Daniel Wells, as well as local products Joe Ball and Doug Vineyard to represent the southern portion of the state.

"Me and Daniel already know each other, and I know Joe from Princeton and Doug from Mount View," Coeburn said. "It'll be fun to get to hang out with those guys and play the North team again. Hopefully we can bring home the win."

Coeburn added, "It's going to be fun to go up there and see what Daniel and myself are made of."

The 6-foot-3, 220-pounder said he plans to take a week's vacation at the beach after the North-South game - his first vacation in six years.

"Then I'll probably play baseball some this summer just to do something," he said. "I'll also be lifting and running and just spending time with family before I leave."

The chance to continue his gridiron career in the West Virginia Conference is a challenge Coeburn said he welcomes.

"I'm excited to see what kind of talent is up there, to see what it's like on that level," he said. "I just want to see how I fit in."

Note: This is the first in a multi-part series on area football players scheduled to perform in the North-South All-Star Classic this Saturday in Charleston. In Thursday's edition: Princeton Tigers lineman Joe Ball.